ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is my batt dead

I been havin problems for a while with my clio and now its gettin worse with winter. It does take a couple of seconds to start not like a brand new car but always starts if ya get me. Anyway it seems like sometimes not always that the battery dont have enough power to turn the engine over eg last nite drove for 20miles pulled into garage filled up and woulnt start, bump started it got 2 miles up road got out left it for 3 hrs and came back started straight away... has any1 had this do u know if its the battery? I done power drain tests and alternator by checking voltage while chargin and they seem fine?

Could be starter.. I had this, and it got worse right about now - the start of cold weather.

No bushes in the end, so it was turning at an angle.. and needed MEGA juice.. and it didnt always have it. The times I did get it started, it sounded bad and made a bad clunk as it wasnt dis-engaging properly.

Just an idea.

Id say faulty alternator. Mine would sometimes be fine, and sometimes not so fine. Check the belt which turns the alternator is tight, and try it with another battery for a day.

Alternator is a b**ch to fit, as you have to take quite a few parts off to get to it. i got mine done for £200 fitted i think.

tbh i am pretty good at doin jobs if i can see what i need out done alternators on other clios, would have thought alternator not chargin or belt slippin would bring light up? mite get different battery tempry, how hard is it to fit new starter motor? how much r they? and with a new 1 will it start any quicker?

Well, if youve checked the voltages with engine running and load and they seem ok, I dont think itll be the alternator.

My starter was £81 or something in the end after I took my old one in - right on the front of the engine on mine.. I think on a Valver its at the back and not easy - itll take a few hours, heh.

Titanium 182

on the valver id sooner give the job to some one else nothin is easy lol

unless your topping fluids up or summit daft

Skoda Fabia vRS

if you live anywhere near a Motor World mate then call in and they will give you a free battery test

if your near the North West come to my shop and ill sort you out

St Helens......90 Higher Parr Street

Skoda Fabia vRS

no they dont mate, we have got a £400+ battery tester which gives you a voltage and amp readout in about 2 seconds

come up mate and ill sort you out with a battery, if you need one

have a look on http://www.multimap.comwww.multimap.com our post code is WA9 1AF

im workin all week this week so whenever is best for you mate

Er.. whats so great about checking the voltage and amps which costs £400?

I took a "flat" battery back once.. (thinking it was the problem, but later found out it wasnt) and they said it was dead.. which is fine, but, it wasnt dead.. just "flat" heh.

Skoda Fabia vRS

if the battery is simply flat mate then our battery tester says on it - RECHARGE

if the battery is buggered it says REPLACE BATTERY

i dunno what your local Motor World has but ours is a good tester

Silly question really, but have you made sure that the terminal caps are well screwed down?

That was why the exs didnt start on on very cold, frosty morning! Was fine once we called the AA, and then looked silly as he screwed the terminal caps on properly! :oops: