ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is This a good Ice Install

Clio 1.2 16v
ok i currently have a pioneer 6900db headunit with ipod connection and some Pioneer 6x9's which have a max or 380wtt output.

now looking to get the following

sub
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIONEER-TS-W3...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

amp
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLI-LOADED-90...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

speakers i have already
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pioneer-ts-a6...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

head unit i have
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PION...177QQhashZitem350118546663QQitemZ350118546663

Let me know wt u think good or bad i want it pretty loud so give me your opinions :)

vaux cavalier
A few pointers mate;

1, The amplifier is a refurb unit, (previously sold, used & returned as faulty)....These units do seem to have some reliability issues....
2, The Pioneer sub is a 4ohm dvc, so as such can present a 2ohm or 8ohm load/impedance, (not really suitable for use with the Fli amp)....
3, The sub & 6x9s shouldn't really share the same air space, so if 6x9s are shelf mounted they will require boxing in to protect them from pressure waves created by the sub....

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
3000w watt sub and a 900 wat max amp. will distort the louder you go due to the amp having to work at 100% all the time to power not even a third of the subs potentual. you wanna match the sub rms with the amp rating mate inorder to get clear sound through most sound levels. if your going loud dont let the 6by9s share the same air space as the sub. plus you wont really hear them neways!

vaux cavalier
3000w watt sub and a 900 wat max amp. will distort the louder you go due to the amp having to work at 100% all the time to power not even a third of the subs potentual. you wanna match the sub rms with the amp rating mate inorder to get clear sound through most sound levels. if your going loud dont let the 6by9s share the same air space as the sub. plus you wont really hear them neways!

Sorry mate, I don't agree with the above....Distortion is a direct result of signal 'clip'....

As long as the amps gain/input sensitivity is correctly set to match the head units pre-out voltage then the amp should play cleanly right upto full output....In this case though the sub would be playing at way below its potential, or in other words at lower volume to what it would if powered correctly....

With regards amplifier/speaker matching;

As above really, as long as the gain/input sensitivity is set correctly, a 100w rms amp will happily drive a 1kw rms sub....

If you wish to drive a sub to its full potential, then you need to consider many things, (no point going into these variables here), but in most cases a good match would be a 25% to 50% gain in the amps favour, (so a 1000w rms sub should be coupled with a 1250w rms to 1500w rms amp), for best results on both music & the odd 0dB tone for showing off.....

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
when an amp is working at 100% and the subs working at below a third the amp trys to hard to match the power rating of the sub causing over working and when turned up to loud you dont get clean bass you get distortion. not a huge amount but noitceable

Sorry mate, I don't agree with the above....Distortion is a direct result of signal 'clip'....

As long as the amps gain/input sensitivity is correctly set to match the head units pre-out voltage then the amp should play cleanly right upto full output....In this case though the sub would be playing at way below its potential, or in other words at lower volume to what it would if powered correctly....

With regards amplifier/speaker matching;

As above really, as long as the gain/input sensitivity is set correctly, a 100w rms amp will happily drive a 1kw rms sub....

If you wish to drive a sub to its full potential, then you need to consider many things, (no point going into these variables here), but in most cases a good match would be a 25% to 50% gain in the amps favour, (so a 1000w rms sub should be coupled with a 1250w rms to 1500w rms amp), for best results on both music & the odd 0dB tone for showing off.....

1.2 Clio
when an amp is working at 100% and the subs working at below a third the amp trys to hard to match the power rating of the sub causing over working and when turned up to loud you dont get clean bass you get distortion. not a huge amount but noitceable

No your wrong, sorry, wallop is correct. The amp doesnt try to match the subs ratings. It only puts out whatever it can put out. And as wallop says with the gains correctly mapped they will not clip. Therefore distortion will not be present. A lot of people get matching or more powerful amplifiers, so that they can gain volume more easily so they don't have to crank their gains. I agree to unlock a subs full potentional they should be matched, but it is not necessary to.