ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this car alright?

Black 172
Hi guys.
I should be going to look at my first Clio 172 later today, once I ring him to make sure it's still available. Here's a link : http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...lt/postcode/ss71tb/radius/20/page/1?logcode=p

I am very excited...

I don't know whether the cambelt has been done recently. If it hasn't, I won't pay £2300. Maybe I'd offer £1,900 or even £2,000 and he'd probably tell me to get lost, but I think I can get a car with the cambelt done recently for £2300. Is that right?

I've read the buyers guide and will try to do as many of the checks as I can.

Any comments very welcome.

Thanks

BlackGold 182
looks nice but yea i doubt the cambelt has done, id rather get a 172 with bit higher mileage knowing the cambelt has already been done

ClioSport 172 (2003)
Theres something wrong with that car. Its about a grand under list price so theyve obvioubsly had it there ages and reached a rock bottom price with it. It is very cheap IMO.

Swerve if you can. Also try and wait for something nice to pop up on here from someone you know has cared for the car.

Black 172
I decided to view this car for a laugh anyway; me and the girlfriend combined a trip to Lakeside for a meal and a bit of shopping and stopped in on the way back.

It was indeed a bit rough. It had a big crack on the rear bumper, some badly repaired stonechips, a missing aerial, worn seats, the usual worn steering wheel, scratched headlight lenses, a cigarette burn on a front and back seat, a missing flap under the bonnet, amongst other things. The cambelt also did need doing. Didn't look well looked after. I did not make an offer. The engine started and idled fine however, and I could hear no dodgy engine noises, and all the electrics that I checked seemed to work. I didn't ask for a test drive because it was penned in by at least 5 other cars and I knew I wasn't going to buy it, but I still felt excited sitting in the drivers seat with the engine on :) Really looking forward to buying one.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I decided to view this car for a laugh anyway; me and the girlfriend combined a trip to Lakeside for a meal and a bit of shopping and stopped in on the way back.

It was indeed a bit rough. It had a big crack on the rear bumper, some badly repaired stonechips, a missing aerial, worn seats, the usual worn steering wheel, scratched headlight lenses, a cigarette burn on a front and back seat, a missing flap under the bonnet, amongst other things. The cambelt also did need doing. Didn't look well looked after. I did not make an offer. The engine started and idled fine however, and I could hear no dodgy engine noises, and all the electrics that I checked seemed to work. I didn't ask for a test drive because it was penned in by at least 5 other cars and I knew I wasn't going to buy it, but I still felt excited sitting in the drivers seat with the engine on :) Really looking forward to buying one.

Told you it was a shitter lol

Bux

Golf GTD
One thing i noticed from the pictures which you didn't mention, the electric mirror toggle appears to be in backwards :S

Unless that's the normal way round for 1*2s. It's the other way round in my 197

Ultra Blue RS Megane
am selling a 182 at the minute, racing blue immaculate cam belt change aux belt change 3500 any inspection welcome :)

One thing i noticed from the pictures which you didn't mention, the electric mirror toggle appears to be in backwards :S

Unless that's the normal way round for 1*2s. It's the other way round in my 197

Some Clios are like that iirc.
Typical Renault !

Phase 2 172 Sport
Mate don't rush your purchase be patient. Im new to the scene and i was as keen as you are to purchase my 1st 172 and im really glad i waited. I purchased 1 on here only a week ago for £2500 with full service history and only 60k. Nice mods on it to as it looked OEM. Just be picky mate nothing wrong with that !!

Gav