ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this surround sound any good?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Hold on so you're saying wireless speakers need wires?....... Right

They aren't powered by magic :p

I know the technology exists somewhere to have no wires, I'm not sure it's quite up to driving speakers though

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Wireless just means the audio signal, they are assuming you have a plug at each end of a room.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Just lift your carpet and wire it all underneath like I did, makes everything so much cleaner :)

I have an older samsumg surround sound setup, I find it very good, although I'm sure there is better quality out there if you are willing to spend the money. I simply got mine when I got my Samsung TV.

Listerine & Poledo
Just lift your carpet and wire it all underneath like I did, makes everything so much cleaner :)

Either that or, for your rear speakers, put them on ceiling mounts and run the cable through the ceiling/ upstairs floor.

If you want top-notch sound, then go with seperates. They also have the benefit of should something blow, you just replace that piece, not the whole lot.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Cant really do anything suggested so far.

Can you see my problem?

IMG_0453.gif

IMG_0452.gif

Personally, I'd spend the money on an amp + speakers.

You can always upgrade the speakers at a later date.

As for wireless, meh.

Edit - as GoodJ linked to, Onkyo are good. I have the bigger version of that one, in 7.1 too.

Needs to be v1.4 HDMI too, for 3D and audio passthrough. (Which that has)

1.8 Civic EX
I'd suggest:-
http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/onkyo/hts5405/onky-hts5405

As for wireless speakers, you still need top run power to them, so one way or another, wires get involved, AFAIK

Get this...it's awesome, I picked mine up the day it was released. So clear and the bass is perfectly smooth (not sure the flat downstairs would agree with that though lol)

I was looking at the Samsung all in one jobs but after listening to them the Onkyo was much better all round, more conectivity, possible to upgrade speakers at a later date etc. Only downside it the amp is somewhat on the large side...

Plus the featurs on the samsungs ain't that great, limited ipod support, requires the TV to be on if using the Ipod, the "apps" are still very limited (been promising iplayer for ages to no avail)

Listerine & Poledo
Yep, you're backed into a corner with that front room.
To get away with surround, you could run some protected cables outside the house, up to the 1st-floor cavity, back through the ceiling/floor then ceiling-mount your speakers and run the cable down into them.
Alternatively, is that laminate floorboards or a lino? If the former you can pull up the boards, lay cables, then re-lay boards.

To be honest though, if neither of these work for you, just get beefed up fronts run off of a good amp. i.e. :-
http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/marantz/pm6003/mara-pm6003-blk
http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/wharfedale/diamond-10.3/whar-10.3-blk

I want the Onkyo now :(
Onkyo amps are great, their speakers are entry level stuff (most).

I changed to an amp set up 2 years ago, after using generic home cinema kits for years. Couldn't believe the difference in sound.

Benefit to an amp is mix and match the speakers/sub you want, and less cables going to the TV (just 1 HDMI from the amp).

I'd always recommend amps over a cinema kit now.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't like cinema kits, since I've already got a DVD/blooray player (use the PS3 for both now)

IMO surround sound should be done properly. This means separates. Amps. Speakers. Cables. Subs. Anything else either means limited funds (fair enough) or female input (not fair enough).

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Can you see my problem?

Yup it's clear in the picture, that tv is way too small :p

It's have been a ball ache to do surround properly as Roy says where we are so I've just gone for a nice little 2.1 Onkyo system that still sounds good enough for me.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
http://www.johnlewis.com/231236079/Product.aspx

Bare in mind that i will be getting a new 3D TV soonish.

I really need wireless back speakers but i cant seem to workout if this one has it!

I hate wireless in all forms. I just about tolerate using this laptop on wireless - but everything else I have uses cables. Mice, keyboards, 360 controllers - you name it. The tiny inconvenience of having a wire attached is massively outclassed by the benefits of continuous power/data feed or whatever is required.

Even if money was no object, I would pick wired solutions every single time. If that meant going behind skirting boards, floor-boards, etc - I'd still do it.

D.

Audi TT 225
http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/sony...-blu-ray-home-theatre-system-cheap-price.html

I have one of these bad boys, must say i'm mightily impressed for an entry level system, it's based on the BDV-E370 http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Sony-BDV-E370/ but is the rear wireless version.

Setup and menu system is wicked, you have access to all the online stuff too, iplayer, youtube, lovefilm, demand 5 etc.

I read reviews for days before deciding on this system and went to various stores for hours to listen to various setups and this was the best value. :star:

PS, you can set it up for wireless Internet too if you buy the dongle, i've connected mine through the Ethernet though as the router sits behind the tv anyway, hehe.

Last edited:
  MK3 GTI golf 16v
IMO surround sound should be done properly. This means separates. Amps. Speakers. Cables. Subs. Anything else either means limited funds (fair enough) or female input (not fair enough).

agreed ! all in one kits are terrible in my opinion. for £500 you could start off a fairly decent surround sound. buy an amp, the speakers and cables then your sub. the quality of sound is in the wires aswell as the speakers so wireless speakers are generally gash tbh. i have a denon amp and wharfdale speakers in my place and it is amazing!

i would avoid wireless tbh. find ways around it

MK3 GTI golf 16v

agreed ! all in one kits are terrible in my opinion. for £500 you could start off a fairly decent surround sound. buy an amp, the speakers and cables then your sub. the quality of sound is in the wires aswell as the speakers so wireless speakers are generally gash tbh. i have a denon amp and wharfdale speakers in my place and it is amazing!

i would avoid wireless tbh. find ways around it