ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Its here whoo

Clio Sport 172
Hi guys, well i picked the car up this morning and man do i love it. Its like a pit bull on speed. I drove out of the garage in a very sensible manner then onto the motorway slip road in 2nd and woosh off i went all th way up to the naughty speeds. It pulls better than jordan, just keeps accelerating through all the gears.
Got a issue with a whining noise that does not go away, i think its coming from the alternator belt

Anyway here she is

ClioFront.gif

ClioBadge.gif

ClioSide.gif

what ya think

scrap the lexus lights, put some nice aftermarket/standard alloys on, put renault badge on, clear side indicators, and if the exhuast is s/steel clean it then polish it, if its rusted, change it!

does the car whine when stationary? or is it mainly just when accelerating? my car whines on acceleration, sounds kinda like a turbo spooling up, isnt a problem though, just a clio thing, lol.

Clio Sport 172
Lights ? When i first looked at the car in the garage the badge was there but when i went to pick it up the salesman told me that it had been stolen off the car when it was outside the valeting bay LOL

Yeh it whins when its stationary but not as much as when you drive, it does sound like a hissing type turbo noise. Are those alloys not standard ?

Yamaha R6
Loopy said:
Lights ? When i first looked at the car in the garage the badge was there but when i went to pick it up the salesman told me that it had been stolen off the car when it was outside the valeting bay LOL

Yeh it whins when its stationary but not as much as when you drive, it does sound like a hissing type turbo noise. Are those alloys not standard ?

Na they're not mate..

Golf GTI 1.8T
No they are not standard, these are and much nicer imo. I think you should lose the lights asap, clear indis and silvervison bulbs as said.
328335d5.jpg

welcome to the renaultsport scene

as said, would improve it 100% by loosing the lexarse lights and swapping the wheels for some standard 172 ones or maybe some Turini's

hope the salesman has ordered you a new renault badge?!

Mine has started making that whining noise again :(

I had a cambelt / Aux belt change only 6k ago and the noise went - I hope it aint the cam belt again.

a lad round here has a 172 mk1 with a VERY loud whining noise.. he said hes had loads of bearings replaced too.

said every bearing on the car goes.. lol

Not a Clio
if the cam belt is on too tight it will make a loud whining noise... you want to get that checked. Assume you have a warranty as you got it from a garage?

Looks like a very nice car :)

Clio Sport 172
Will phase 2 lights fit onto the phase 1, they look a little different ?

I will be definatly changing them and i will prob do it asap. Im taking the performance exhaust off too, not a great one for noisy cars. Just gonna put the standard items back on.

Can you guys post pics of standard wheels they have to see which ones i will like

thanks for all the info and help :D

Renaultsport Clio 182
Niceeee :D I've always liked the Phase 1's, looks lovely. As already said, change the lights for standard items ASAP. And look into changing the wheels also. A nice set of 16" Speedline's off of a 172 Cup would look mint :)

Clio Sport 172
I have just bee looking through the whole bunch of reciepts for the car and found that the exhaust is a K TEC full system and the suspension that has been fitted is APEX. Not sure if thats good or bad so some info or opinions on this stuff would be good

On the brighter side i changed the rear clusters to standard ones tody and it looks so much better

thanks guys

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Loopy said:
I have just bee looking through the whole bunch of reciepts for the car and found that the exhaust is a K TEC full system and the suspension that has been fitted is APEX. Not sure if thats good or bad so some info or opinions on this stuff would be good

On the brighter side i changed the rear clusters to standard ones tody and it looks so much better

thanks guys
hi m8........if u want standard springs, i have mine on a mrk1 172 (same as yours) i would swap with cash, or swap n ill fit both?

ill get a pic of stock wheels on that car....(there on mine)

I ask about that whining cos mine whines like a fecker! its with engine speed ive narrowed it down to the a/c compressor, after changing the belt etc etc! so soon enough im getting rid of the a/c. im sure i'll regret it in the summer!

Clio Sport 172
ben_p said:
hi m8........if u want standard springs, i have mine on a mrk1 172 (same as yours) i would swap with cash, or swap n ill fit both?

ill get a pic of stock wheels on that car....(there on mine)

I will do a swap with cash or fit but where are you in this island we call home if you are to fit them ? hats the cheapest way as i will have to pay for removal and fit of your springs

let me know :D

2004 1.2 Dynamique
Nice colour coding mate, as everyone has said scrapt the lexus lights defo and put the renault badge back on or smooth the boot

Regarding the whining noise:

I've just come back from Rentech, we replaced the lower tensioner bearing - the whine has gone.

The part is £47 and about the same again in labour to fit.

I'll dig out the part number later, I think it might be 82 00 065 479 but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 172
I live in jarrow but that was taken outside my mates house in cramlington. Dont these new housing estates all look the same LOL

Day said:
Regarding the whining noise:

I've just come back from Rentech, we replaced the lower tensioner bearing - the whine has gone.

The part is £47 and about the same again in labour to fit.

I'll dig out the part number later, I think it might be 82 00 065 479 but I'm not sure.

Was it like a milkfloat whine?