ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've been asked...

Fiat Panda 100hp
To do someone's wedding! :D

I was in Darley Dale (near matlock) yesterday, and while waiting for my girlfriend to have her hair cut I kept myself busy taking photos. I met a bmx'er in the park who wanted me to take some pictures and send them via email, then on the way back I took some pictures of a dog that was looking over a wall. Starting chatting to the owners and showed them the pictures etc, they wanted me to send them the pictures and asked whether I would do their wedding. I said don't expect professional grade photos, as it would be my 1st wedding. They said Im sure I can produce some good shots. They was very nice people and I can't wait to do it :)

3373866556_d0db3fa8f1_o.png

3373049133_d2b6ce41da_o.png

3373048761_75fd3d2057_o.png

Ian

Focus TDCi
Excellent news Ben! It sounds like the best way possible to be asked to do a wedding, not so much pressure! :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yeah but then the pressure really is on. If he charges £100 and explains why then they should like whatever he gives them and probably even recommend him to others. I know it's undercutting everyone else, but it's still money! One thing I would say is if you do want to do it more often Ben it could be awkward to change the price once people hear about it. :)

Suzuki Ignis
Charge whatever you like. £100 is a good price for your first wedding, just provide the images on CD or you could make extra on prints.

Well done on getting the gig and good luck on the day, you'll be shitting it. lol.

I don't know what to charge, not a lot though maybe £100. Thanks :)

depends what you are going to give them. I charge £400 for friends plus prints non friends £800. just remember that you not onlyhave to spend time taking the pictures, aranging the guests making sure you get everyones photo but you have to process the images and then present them to the people. £100 is not much at all.

I don't know what to charge, not a lot though maybe £100. Thanks :)

I got my first wedding in pretty much the exact same circumstances, I charged £100 (seemed a reasonable balance between covering my costs, and them not expecting too much out of them), the fee was for a disc of high-res photos only, so they could do what they liked with them (organising photobooks etc would be a minefield, and get very very expensive/time consuming). They were fully understanding of it being my first wedding so the charge reflected that, and the fact that I had their blessing to use the photos to promote myself if I wanted to take it further.

Looking back I'm pleased I gave it a go, fortunately they were thrilled with the photos, unfortunately I hated the actual experience and would never do it again (even though they were as nice and relaxed about everything as you could possibly imagine). One of those things you enjoy or not, I guess. Shame I didn't enjoy it because I was surprised at how good the results were and it could be a good earner.

FF RB 182
Gaz's dad wants him to take pictures at his stepsister's wedding when his dad can't take them. Think it's a cheeky pisstake mind.

I think you'll get some very good shots though Ben, your pictures are of a very good standard.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Getting a D300 next month too so that should help proceedings.

I'm going to discuss with the client what she/he wants etc. £100 for CD with hi res images. Or at extra costs create a photo album.

14' Leon Cupra 280
IMO the dog is too soft and other 2 are over exposed :( Anyway you'll learn a hell of a lot from the experience and i'd suggest charging more than £100, regardless of your experience. Just shoot like crazy so you have a lot to play with at the end.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
My Sister paid £1500 for her Wedding Day Photographer but she was there form 9am at my parents house taking Photo's of them getting ready right though until about 7pm as the Reception started to get going.

A4 Avant
I've done one, results turned out well. I thought it was a nightmare though. I hated most of it. I've been asked to do another but I've ended up declining. The stress just isn't worth it for £100 - £200 IMO.

Good luck, I hope you have decent glass to go with the D300.

I wouldnt like to do one. Id just be too scared that I wouldnt have enough decent shots to give them at the end of the day.

Its not like you can try again. But best of luck to you, Ben. Im sure you'll be fine!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Just shoot like crazy so you have a lot to play with at the end.

I'd totally agree with that advice.. it's hard to tell what you've got til you get them on a decent screen, so the more you have the better.

Not a lot of love for wedding photography by the sound of it!

14' Leon Cupra 280
Not a lot of love for wedding photography by the sound of it!

It's by far the hardest aspect of photography imo. That's why people who have been doing for a long time can charge what they do. People underestimate the metering and exposure skills, and not just let the camera take care of it.

Each part of the day will require different knowledge and skills, from a dimly lit church to the unpredictable weather!

I'd suggest spending from now until the wedding looking at other photographers portfolios to find angles/views, then the rest playing with camera and flash in different situations

Partner's Astra SRi
My friends friends got a friend of theirs from uni to take their wedding photos. They were stunning

n199708086_41018245_2718.jpg

n199708086_41018277_9466.jpg

n199708086_41018285_516.jpg

n199708086_41018299_2741.jpg

n199708086_41018334_8127.jpg

slideshow (I'd mute it if you're going to watch this btw)

Last edited:
  Partner's Astra SRi
No, that's me silly!!

On a serious note, I fail to see the resemblance so lets leave the Sonia comments now, cheers.

nothing hard about wedding photography its only taking pictures of people.

people charge alot because they can get away with it lol

It's by far the hardest aspect of photography imo. That's why people who have been doing for a long time can charge what they do. People underestimate the metering and exposure skills, and not just let the camera take care of it.

Each part of the day will require different knowledge and skills, from a dimly lit church to the unpredictable weather!

I'd suggest spending from now until the wedding looking at other photographers portfolios to find angles/views, then the rest playing with camera and flash in different situations

Fiat Panda 100hp
All the above seem to put me off a little lol. But meh, will still do it, have to learn for ones self.

With the exposure on the photos, I edited them on my Macbook, which I should never do as they always comes out overexposed on other PC's. :(

All the above seem to put me off a little lol. But meh, will still do it, have to learn for ones self.

With the exposure on the photos, I edited them on my Macbook, which I should never do as they always comes out overexposed on other PC's. :(

depends on the calibration of the monitor.