ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've got terminal gearbox failure.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My run in with the cone at Goodwood was a little more severe than I thought.

Spent this morning at Rentech with a new gear linkage and a lot of determination.

Ended up with a working 2nd or a locked 5th, that was it.

So a new 'box is required :(

I'm just after sympathy really. It'd served me well suffering 108k of continual abuse...RIP.

alien green rs133
My run in with the cone at Goodwood was a little more severe than I thought.

Spent this morning at Rentech with a new gear linkage and a lot of determination.

Ended up with a working 2nd or a locked 5th, that was it.

So a new 'box is required :(

I'm just after sympathy really. It'd served me well suffering 108k of continual abuse...RIP.

knowing them boxes id say the internals have tried to migrate out of the near side of the car, cracked casing etc

ITB'd MK1
that sucks, not a bad run though. Brightside; at least you wern't stranded. When my gearbox died i was 40 miles from home, at 2am and the turbo was trying to fall off at the same time lol. Oh and I only had 4th for the whole 40 miles hehe

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Not bad going there!
Was a good clip to watch till it happened!

Plenty around tho....

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Cant really complain Mark, Especially on that mileage and the abuse it gets!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
you sure its the box? maybe the linkage has bent, making realignment impossible

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
u sure the linkage was set up properly as if u get it wrong you can only select certain gears

:dapprove:
it has done you well though, esp. considering the use it gets

what's the diagnosis? has something misaligned within the box?

Volvo S60 T5
Gearbox is shot to the point that when the gear selector rod is in the neutral position the car is still in gear, only way you can move the car is with the clutch pressed down.

BMW M135i
I think you've done well in 108k with the treatment its had, just goes to show they can last when treated properly. That cones obviously fudged something internally, wheres the vid? must've missed that one.

Monaco 53/468
How has a cone damaged the inside of the box? Did a plastic cone break the casing? Sorry, I'm a little confused!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Here's how it happened...

[youtube]RKXMk2FFOS0[/youtube]

BIG cone x 2 straight under the middle of me at speed. I thought all that had happened is knocking out the alignment of the gear linkage, but as Mike said above, even when the 'box actuating arm is manually put into the neutral position 2nd gear is still engaged. Putting it into 5th locks it up solid and it just stalls as the clutch is brought up.

The cone must have given the arm a serious whack which was enough to do something internally...made a hell of a noise when it happened.

So I now need a new/secondhand gearbox, so if anyone knows of anyone that's got something suitable please let me know.

Thanks

ITB'd MK1
had a similar though less severe occurance on a car that had spun off the road and bent the linkage rod. Changed the rod but looks like the selector has taken a smack as it jumps out of gear and wont go into 3rd most of the time. Quite a vulnerable place for the selector, much more common for it to be on the top or rear of the box