ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've just bought a new VAIO. Anyone use one? Opinions?

306 TD Slut
very nice mate, mum just got a company one like that, was the same price, so guessing similar model.

i love the X-black LCD's. nice a quick too. Mum onlt uses her's for email and word processing so is a bit of an overkill for her too. one thing i have noticed is it slowing down a bit, but just installed crap cleaner and defraged it and its fine.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
My new HP has a similar spec to that

Only difference is it cost ~800 quid :p

Half decent mobile graphics card in your Vaio too :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
i have one of the previous models of these, pretty much the same spec except its 2Ghz single core and 1GB ram.

I was thinking of getting the S model with the blu-ray writer in but it seems to have a few problems according to people who have them on forums.

great laptops, amazing screens.

I have 2 Vaios. A TX3 and an AR31. They are both superb. The best laptops money can buy.

To the poster who made the £800 HP comment - that's all very nice but the Sony Vaio will wee all over it for build quality, and especially the screen. Those X-Black LCDs decimate the competition. I'm sure the HP is great too, and you do pay a premium for the Sonys, but you will know where that extra money went :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
i like your style roy, i too have a TR1 (11") and an A417S (17")

perfect combination, 17" for everyday desktop replacement use and the 11" for when i go on holiday to download my pics to each night.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I have 2 Vaios. A TX3 and an AR31. They are both superb. The best laptops money can buy.

To the poster who made the £800 HP comment - that's all very nice but the Sony Vaio will wee all over it for build quality, and especially the screen. Those X-Black LCDs decimate the competition. I'm sure the HP is great too, and you do pay a premium for the Sonys, but you will know where that extra money went :)
know what you mean about the screens roy, I think they really are the best screen on the market.

A friend of mine got a very decent spec laptop from Dell today 2gb ram, DC1.7 core duo, 120gb hdd, 256mb x1400 (128mb hypermemory) and 15.4" widescreen and it was only £650 but the chassis is pretty cheap looking and the screen is pants, any angle other than sitting directly infront of it and the screen is unviewable and not in a way that its for security reasons, just such a cheap screen and not very good colours.

You get what you pay for at the end of the day and my money always goes on a sony laptop, aston martin of the laptop world.

T

thecremeegg

Look stunning and lovely screens, shame that i've found the build quality is appalling. Batteries held in by tape is not uncommon :S

Better than yours. C*nt.
Got an SZ2 and TX3, they're both brilliant (although SZ had to go back, had a motherboard fault).

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

The only advantage the Sony has over my HP one is its screen.

The Vaio's aren't all that robust tbh

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Vaios are very nice laptops. I had one and it packed in one day out of warranty. read on the net that lots of the same model had also!

but....sold it on ebay as faulty and still got top money for it!

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
Again, I got an Asus with dual core 2ghz processor, 2gb ram, 256 nvidia dedicated graphics and 120gb disk....£699 from comet....Vaios are very nice, but I could never justify the money unfortunately.....

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I have a Vaio, similar to Daves (dk).
Seems to run well but comes preinstalled with a lot of rubbish which eats your memory up like no tomorrow. Have upgraded the RAM (was a little tricky to fit) and now it flies - have also taken a lot of the preinstalled rubbish off.

And as Roy says, the screens are pretty good!

Leon Cupra 300
I got a FE series Vaio its bloody birilliant. Was top dog when i bought it this time last year at similar price to that so its still in date now, duo processor 1gig ram, 100gig drive..

It is for sale if someone wants to make an offer !

I think it's almost universally accepted that the area where the Vaios shine most, is in their screen quality. Personally that's extremely important to me as it's what I spend my time looking at :)

The WUXGA 1920x1200 panels are better still - truly amazing. My AR31 is the E model (base) and only has the 1400x900 screen but it's still head and shoulders above anything else I've seen on the likes of Dell or HP. Horses for courses. Different things are important to different people :)

Mk2 Golf GTI
Where's the best place to buy Sony laptops from? Is there a good online store for them that's cheaper than from Sony themselves?

Can i get a decent one for circa £600 (used if necessary as long as the spec is good, ie min. 1gb Ram, dual core, 100gb hdd)?

I've just bought one from Dabs.com - the FE41S.

If you go through Quidco.com you'll get 3% cashback as well, although against the non VAT price.

Cheers

If you go through Quidco.com you'll get 3% cashback as well, although against the non VAT price.

Cheers

I was looking at that one earlier.. as a replacement for my Macbook Pro. Dunno yet though.. Heh. May stay with the MBP, but then, I'm undecided ;)

I have a Vaio, similar to Daves (dk).
Seems to run well but comes preinstalled with a lot of rubbish which eats your memory up like no tomorrow. Have upgraded the RAM (was a little tricky to fit) and now it flies - have also taken a lot of the preinstalled rubbish off.

And as Roy says, the screens are pretty good!

Agreed.

Mk2 Golf GTI
I don't understand the heirarchy of the various codes with Sony's

Which one would be best for a business laptop that's occasionally used to play DVDs/video files and listen to music?

I'm not into PC gaming so not bothered about that aspect but may evenutally be using Photoshop with it too.

Cheers

Cheers

I was looking at that one earlier.. as a replacement for my Macbook Pro. Dunno yet though.. Heh. May stay with the MBP, but then, I'm undecided ;)

I've been looking for a new laptop for age now...considering Dells, Acers, Lenovo...but had'nt been able to make my mind up. Last week one of my work colleagues showed me his new Vaio FE41 and the decision was made!

I've been looking for a new laptop for age now...considering Dells, Acers, Lenovo...but had'nt been able to make my mind up. Last week one of my work colleagues showed me his new Vaio FE41 and the decision was made!

I have other reasons for changing lappys.
I still stand by my decision that there isn't a physically better laptop than a Macbook Pro - nothing comes close to it in any department IMO. (Screen, trackpad, keyboard, looks, size)

I may stick with the Mac anyway.. I was just looking earlier on..
I get to use most types of laptop at work (IT Consultant), so I kinda know which ones are good - and the only ones I'd change my MBP for are Vaio's at the moment.. (FE or SZ).

So, if you get it, and you fancy a Mac after all.. ;) Swap-shop maybe? ;) :p

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I picked it up yesterday!

Loving it so far, really quick and versatile. :approve:

I just need a Vaio laser mouse as the trackpad is getting a little frustrating!

Better than yours. C*nt.
I don't understand the heirarchy of the various codes with Sony's

Which one would be best for a business laptop that's occasionally used to play DVDs/video files and listen to music?

I'm not into PC gaming so not bothered about that aspect but may evenutally be using Photoshop with it too.

Cheers

Sounds exactly like the sort of use I do... and I have an SZ2 - the replacement SZ3 is near identical, just with the newer processors (I'm not entirely sure on the difference between the processors, same core speed, same FSB and cache) and I've put 2gb 667 memory in it, and that's all it's needed to lunch photoshop. Plays DVDs fine along with all my music which is stored on it, and is brilliant for work because it looks brilliant, can sit and stare at the screen all day without headache and dare I say it it even plays most 'normal' games... ;)

Milltek'd 182
i have a VGN-A115M, which i bought nearly 3 years ago. its had a few hissy fits, with one or two BSOD, and there was a point where the fan made a funny noise?!
but still going strong and doing the job. :)
enjoy it matey

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
It will be perfect for that apart from the speakers are rubbish on it. The sound output is spot on though if you use speakers/headphones.