ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac or PC

Focus ST
Don't know what to go for. Currently I have a PowerBook G4.
Started a new job and there they use PC's. So I'm in a position to get another computer but don't know which to go for?? :S

I've seen a Sony VGN C2 Z/B, which is in my budget, nice, quite powerful for what I'll be doin. Can get lots of software for it etc.
http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowPro...2Z/B&site=voe_en_GB_cons&category=VN+C+Series

Where as I see the Base Apple MacBook for a little more thats a better spec, but not quite as easy to obtain software for, to use at work. I.e. Sage for the accounts, Visio for the drawings. uTorrent for all the movies I've been down loading at work.
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/6134040/wo/UN43UYMl4clS2qNcGtl1sr2T0MM/2.?p=0http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6064003/wo/lyu4iblsrK2A3Vt8qb82BrswlXI/2.?p=0

I could really screw my finances and go for the Macbook Pro.
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/6814042/wo/0o5pPtsIBn2q3Ftw5osYoJrcjQ9/2.?p=0

Could do with some un-biase advice..

Thanks!!! :cool:

Monaro VXR
When you add the 2gb of ram the sony gets yuour macbook jumps to £1200. Also not as much software included with the mac, The one thing is it has a better CPU. no mention of graphics card specs though but the vaio probably takes it there as well.

Either way try looking at some actual online computer retailers not the main sites of the brands. As they will always sell them at full RRP.

Have a look elsewhere at other sites like. http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ sure someone on here also sells them cant remember who though.

Octy VRS
The Sony is a damn good notebook and will last a good few years. I'm biased though!

2GB RAM for the Macbook[Pro]/Mac Mini, you can get Corsair Mac-tested RAM now.. they have special Mac RAM (SO-DIMM).

£98 for 2GB.. awesome.
Guess who ordered some of that as soon as it came available?!?! ;)

If you buy the Mac stuff (Kingston) it's £200 for 2GB (and that's not from Apple).

Rav4
I have a macbook pro and I love it :)

but sometimes prefer using windows for stuff like dreamweaver and flash.

Rav4
Where did you buy it from ? I need some for my macbook pro that will work perfectly :)

2GB RAM for the Macbook[Pro]/Mac Mini, you can get Corsair Mac-tested RAM now.. they have special Mac RAM (SO-DIMM).

£98 for 2GB.. awesome.
Guess who ordered some of that as soon as it came available?!?! ;)

If you buy the Mac stuff (Kingston) it's £200 for 2GB (and that's not from Apple).

106 GTi
Nice one Daz, will come in handy when I purchase my own Mac Pro when they get round to updating them. Though may grab some for my MacBook Pro in the meantime aswell.

Nice one Daz, will come in handy when I purchase my own Mac Pro when they get round to updating them. Though may grab some for my MacBook Pro in the meantime aswell.

Well, you'll have to see if they do a Mac Pro version? That's a SO-DIMM, so Macbook/Macbook Pro/Mac Mini :)

I'll let you know how mine goes on Monday! :)

definatly say mac, so many people are changing over to them and realising how easy they are to use.

Basically...

If you want the computer for your business, play games or work on then a pc would be ideal

But for anything else get a mac.

A red missile
definatly say mac, so many people are changing over to them and realising how easy they are to use.

Basically...

If you want the computer for your business, play games or work on then a pc would be ideal

But for anything else get a mac.

Erm what else is there? - apart from p**n obviously.

Business network == Windows
Home == Mac

Seriously, you are NOT going to beat a Windows domain.. for work.. ever. It's just scalable, manageable and it works.

Altho, I've discovered "Pages" in OSX now (Part of iWork). It looks poor when you first open it, but once you use it for a few documents, you soon realise there isn't ANYTHING close to producing the quality it can produce - it even makes fonts look absolutly superb when printed.. so, OSX is starting to be quite useful for work stuff now, too :p

I was close to just putting XP on my Macbook Pro, but I've got a few applications which are OSX only, which I just couldn't do without now.. sucks to be me, haha.

I use Parallels now which is coming close to running Windows apps in OSX.. which is partly why I've just bought more RAM..

106 GTi
Mac at work
Mac at home

Oh I do need a PC to update my Road Angel though, best install boot camp then ;)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
whats the point getting a mac then putting windows on it?

Macs looks ace, nice to use, but if they fail, you're screwed. Its not like you can pop down to PC and buy a new motherboard for £50

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
whats the point getting a mac then putting windows on it?

Because you can use native OS X apps for the 99% of the time that use the computer and when you have to use a piece of software that is only available under windows, then it's available to use either through bootcamp or parallels.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Mac as it can offer you the best of both worlds.

Any idea what type of memory is used in the current iMac? I want to upgrade from 1gb to 2gb?

what mac software is not available on PC?

Pages
Adium
Mail
Safari
Terminal
iCal
iChat
Preview

And that's just off the top of my head.. (as in, running on my MBP at the moment)
Alternatives don't count, cus' alternatives often aren't as good.. Like, Adium.. no chat client in Windows is as good/clean, etc..

Then on Windows, you have:

Visio
Outlook
IE (For some web sites)
etc.. which only run on Windows.. and alternatives in Mac aren't that good.

But, on my Mac, I can run all those Windows apps.. I can't run the Mac apps on Windows ;)