ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jacking point bent

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Is this a problem anyone else has faced, it would seem mine had started to bend up towards the car - distinctly unhelpful seeing as i need to do the oil this weekend - can i jack the stupid thing off the chassis rails?

Amazed they bent tbh, its not like the cups heavy lol

Lionel Richie
NEVER EVER EVER jack them on the sills, VERY common problem, always the chassis rails!

thats the box section bit under the car

Lionel Richie
ta dar
jack.jpg

RB 182 Cup
i see a photo on here once of somebody with there 172 on axle stands on the sills lol.

RSC 182 Cup
Out of interest the Haynes manual for Clios says to use wood under the sills when using a trolley jack - and never to use one anywhere else. Sounds a bit dangerous to me!

I've actually given up using trolley jacks on new cars as inevitably wherever you place them will result in some sort of permanent damage. :(

I use the factory jack and then place a jack stand underneath on the most solid part I can find- then wind the jack down and share the load on both.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Once the cars on axle stands on the box section the fooker should go no where! its never let me down & i've jacked my car & many other clios that way & never had a problem

M2 Competition
Once the cars on axle stands on the box section the fooker should go no where! its never let me down & i've jacked my car & many other clios that way & never had a problem

Just be careful it doesnt slip off the jack using the chassis rails, those buggers are slippery ;)

RB 182FF, Saxo Track Car.
NEVER EVER EVER jack them on the sills, VERY common problem, always the chassis rails!

thats the box section bit under the car

I wouldnt go that far like, bit OTT.

They are known for being a bit weak and folding, but the strength is still there. If possilble jack up and place stands on the chassis like Fred has showed you.

RSC 182 Cup
A bit of a technicality, but those bits aren't "chassis rails", Clio's don't have a chassis as they are a monocoque constuction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoque

If they did have a chassis using a trolley jack would be easy. Those rails are nowhere near as strong as proper chassis rails and I personally won't be using a trolley jack on them on my RSC. But no doubt Fred has jacked up a few Clio's in his time and it obviously doesn't cause any serious damage.

I went to help a friend jack up his 172 a couple of weeks back and the front RHS sill jacking point had been folded :( - it's only ever been serviced the the local dealer as well..... Even after bashing it straight it started folding straight away when the factory jack was tried.

There is actually a strengthened part of the sill, its got 2 layers of metal and is where the hole is on Freds picture...

53 Clio's & counting
mine were bent too dave,spent a morning at work up onthe ramp with a pair of mole grips, a hammer, and obviously a clean and coat of hammerite mine are back to normal

RSC 182 Cup
Have you tried using them with the factory jack yet?

We spent quite a bit of time straightening the one on a friend's 172 only to have it fold straight over again when we tried jacking it. :(

Karlos172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182 Trophy/R5GTT
Yeah, on my cup as it didnt come with a jack,some numpty had decided to use a vauxhall jack to jack the car, found it in the boot when I bought it last year! it has a hump in the middle so doesnt do the jacking points much good, they are slightly bent with lip folded up:-( Are these easy to straighten up?

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah, on my cup as it didnt come with a jack,some numpty had decided to use a vauxhall jack to jack the car, found it in the boot when I bought it last year! it has a hump in the middle so doesnt do the jacking points much good, they are slightly bent with lip folded up:-( Are these easy to straighten up?

mine were bent too dave,spent a morning at work up onthe ramp with a pair of mole grips, a hammer, and obviously a clean and coat of hammerite mine are back to normal

Mental 172 Cup
i have 1 bent on mine! tryed to unbend it the other day looks slightly better but never like it was!

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Bent mine. Destroyed the otherside when i come down a kerb. Copper hammer fixed them though:eek: