ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

(Hopefully) the easiest Clio 182 Resto ever...

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
So a week or two ago, I managed to secure my self a little run down shack to tit about with cars. I am a serial car buyer, and I think it was going to become a problem for my neighbours at some point (although, they've never once had a problem with it). Also, laying on my drive in the freezing wind and rain was getting a tad boring.

Anyway, as soon as I got this unit I knew what I wanted. A tow car, a car trailer, and a track car project. So as soon as I had the keys...

IMG_8842.jpeg

I had put a post up on one of the Clio Sport Facebook pages, asking for a project. Something not too tidy, no MOT, needs work etc. Cheaper the better! I dont mind how far gone it is.

Somehow though, after getting bored of answering desperate messages from people trying to offload their absolute sheds for £2k plus, I got a message about the badboy you see on my rig above.

Not only was it cheaper than anything else, it was (on paper) really appealling. 89,000 miles, 4 owners and a stack of history. Mostly standard bar some springs, the exhaust and a panel filter. I just assumed it had some big hidden issue, the MOT ran out back in October and at this point the chap just wanted rid.

Obviously it needs Belts, an MOT and a few bits tidying up. However once I got it back and started tearing into it, I realised I COULD NOT use this as a track car. Its by far the cleanest I've owned, and dare I say it cleaner than anyone I've clapped eyes on in many years!

First things first - a to do list.

1. Brakes - They worked, but felt a bit sticky from being sat
2. Service - It had been serviced so regularly, i felt bad not doing an oil service (with genuine parts + Oil!)
3. Rust - I had to strip back all the usual areas and see if it was hiding any nasties
4. Wheel Refurb - one was scraped, thats all. But I managed to scrape another getting it off the trailer ffs
5. Belts and MOT - this one I'm leaving up to beaniesport....

IMG_8941.jpeg

I stripped off the side sill covers and to my surprise - solid. Almost brand new looking. There was some surface rust around where an idiot had jacked it on the sills, but that was it. Under the fuel flap? Not a sausage. I started stripping out arch liners - still nothing.

In fact, the only stuff I found was surface rust on some of the suspension components (Rear beam, mainly). But I had a plan to get that sorted.

Then, there was the brakes. Had basically new pads all round. So I stripped those back, painted the calipers up and cleaned/re greased the pads. All working mega now!

IMG_8959.jpeg

After a service, gave the engine a literal wipe down. No products, just some big wipes and a microfibre.

IMG_8960.jpeg

So whats the plan now? Well - The headlights and bodywork need a good detail. This car deserves me going a bit overboard I think. I want to either buy a NOS front grill, or refinish this one in a more OEM style. Its currently gloss black with the obligatory french flag on it! Obviously the wheel refurb as well.

Overall, I think Im going to move this one on. I wanted a track project and have ended up with something I want to lock away for ever and ever, which I just cant reasonably do. Nor would I get much joy out of that.

Next jobs will be putting a sports cat in the exhaust, aformentioned detail, and getting BeanieSport to do a belts service + MOT.

As ever, this thing will be documented on my crappy youtube channel if anyone cares....

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Will follow this for for sure! Looks like a lovely car.

If you are serious about sorting rust you need to drop rear beam and tank. My car looked very similar condition wise to yours and I found quite a bit of surface grot around the rear beam area. Especially the stupid cavities by the rear upper spring mounts.

Rear beam is out within 30mins, such an easy job!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Will follow this for for sure! Looks like a lovely car.

If you are serious about sorting rust you need to drop rear beam and tank. My car looked very similar condition wise to yours and I found quite a bit of surface grot around the rear beam area. Especially the stupid cavities by the rear upper spring mounts.

Rear beam is out within 30mins, such an easy job!

Yeah, thats probably going to be what Im doing on Monday. I got it soaked with the rust converter first, but I'll drop both and get all those areas. I also want to paint the rear beam which will be way easier with it on the floor.

Did you pull out the two long bolts to drop it?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, thats probably going to be what Im doing on Monday. I got it soaked with the rust converter first, but I'll drop both and get all those areas. I also want to paint the rear beam which will be way easier with it on the floor.

Did you pull out the two long bolts to drop it?
Ive got some pictures in my project thread I think. I removed the two bolts and left the brackets in place which were in good shape.

I didn't want to bugger about with captive bolts spinning but I'm pretty sure you can access them from inside the car.

Having bean out lets you check brake lines properly, the ones that go between the shell and the beam are often done and it's a great opportunity to replace the rear beam bushes.

If you don't already have one I really rate the Milwaukee die grinders because you can get into all the tight spaces with them. Rust converter is alright but would still recommend grinding off any rust before you use it. They often leave a thick hard latex later after converting the surface of corrosion.

Doing the rear end was very satisfying because all the parts are easy to clean up and everything is nice and cheap.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Ive got some pictures in my project thread I think. I removed the two bolts and left the brackets in place which were in good shape.

I didn't want to bugger about with captive bolts spinning but I'm pretty sure you can access them from inside the car.

Having bean out lets you check brake lines properly, the ones that go between the shell and the beam are often done and it's a great opportunity to replace the rear beam bushes.

If you don't already have one I really rate the Milwaukee die grinders because you can get into all the tight spaces with them. Rust converter is alright but would still recommend grinding off any rust before you use it. They often leave a thick hard latex later after converting the surface of corrosion.

Doing the rear end was very satisfying because all the parts are easy to clean up and everything is nice and cheap.
Thanks for the tips mate!
I have a load of air tools from when I was on the shop floor. Pencil and die grinders too. So my next workshop purchase will be an air compressor!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't finished the first video yet, but a bit of a video diary of getting the rear beam out in ep2 would be much appreciated. Something I need to tackle on mine at some point and having a video of someone else doing it to follow would be much appreciated!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't finished the first video yet, but a bit of a video diary of getting the rear beam out in ep2 would be much appreciated. Something I need to tackle on mine at some point and having a video of someone else doing it to follow would be much appreciated!
Oh and does it affect the alignment of the rear at all? That'd be my concern, putting it back on and messing up the alignment somehow.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and does it affect the alignment of the rear at all? That'd be my concern, putting it back on and messing up the alignment somehow.
No, especially if you leave the rear hangers on.

It's very straight forward and honestly takes under an hour.

Up on axle stands
Rear wheels off.
Exhaust off from cat back
Brake lines clamped and undone at the flexi Handbrake cables disconnected at calipers ABS sensors unplugged
Undo shock absorber bottom bolts
Lower jack
Pull springs out
Undo long bolt each side of beam where the bush is.

Pull beam out and give ones self a pat.

IMG_20200711_200422.jpg

Worth pulling the whole cat off if the car is outside, buying brake line clamps is far better than letting the master cylinder drain out

Highly recommend epoxy mastic 121 or similar if not having things powder coated.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Rear beam bolt on the driver's side won't come out with the tank in the way, will it?

I'm sure I had that issue with the two beams I've done 🤔

The bolt is like 100mm long.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Rear beam bolt on the driver's side won't come out with the tank in the way, will it?

Yes it’s doable as the bolt goes in and out this way.

Personally I’d drop the brackets as well so I can get at the grunge, but each to their own.
BC5C70BB-BD76-4316-B666-07BA899188EC.jpeg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Sorry you are right, forgot that part.

I just dropped the corner of the tank enough for the bolt to come out, with rear bolts from tank undone there is just enough room.

Better yet drop the tank, which is also easy and gives you access to more of the rear cross member.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
That’s with the tank in. I always add the brackets first, lift the beam into place, then insert the bolts and bush. I think 🤔😂 Only done 4 of them but you’ve got me thinking now 😂

😂 I can't picture how it would come out. Same with the Mk2 Meganes, although on them I think you can cut the bolt down and then put it back in from the outside.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
They don't really rust above the tank I don't think. Mine was sound. It's just that cross member, or rather behind it which the tank covers. Mine was fine so just lashed it all in dinitrol.

Here:
View attachment 1629366
They do..albeit it’s generally very light surface rust. However if gives you access to the rear cross member which does rust, also dropping the tank gives you access to two pockets (either side of the tank) which get absolutely filthy and do rust. I’d 100% drop the tank every time.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well, this little guy has been with Beaniesport for about a week. Meanwhile I’ve picked up a 172 to actually turn into a track car.

The 182 has had all the belts etc done, new CAT put in, and thanks to an unexpected MOT fail… a pair of lower arms too.

Should collect it tomorrow evening. Bought it some new shoes while it was away 🥰

6BB0B8FC-B346-4935-92E0-62EDF421B955.jpeg

By the time I refurbished the standard wheels and fitted non-linglong tyres, it made better sense to buy Turinis