ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Jailbreak'

Clio182, Mini Cooper 1275
I recently treated myself to a new Ipod touch and Im pretty pleased with it. Although frustrated with Itunes and the software side of things i love it, there is even a G-ometer app wich can determine forward and lateral G-force which means you can mount it in your Clio and try and pull half a G while changing lane!, Brilliant!
My question is this though, Is there anyone with any experience of 'Jailbreaking'? and should I be doing it?

Cheers

M135i
i failbroke my iphone. I didnt see what all the fuss was about hence going back to standard. thats just imo though :)

I hope this thread survives, as I would genuinely like to know what jailbreaking achieves, and what benefits it has. I've no interest in doing itself, just curious.

I get the feeling it's partly used to pirate apps, which seems insane to me considering 99% of them are 59p a pop, and if you can afford an iPhone contract or iPod Touch, you probably aren't short of a bit of disposable income.

thanks for that, after searching the internet i cannot determine what the benefits are................nice car!

SchwepTek™
Benefits are, completely customizeable interface - ringtones, sms tones, backgrounds, themes, buttons, battery icon, etc, etc. As well as a huge number of apps such as video camera, copy n paste, etc that were around way before 3.0 software.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio
just done, so easy. you can fully customise the phone, defo worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Madness!

It is, without doubt, the best thing you can do with your iPhone/iTouch. If you're not finding it useful, you're not doing it correctly, or making full use of the benefits. Fact.

If you'd like, I could do a write-up for the uninitiated? I could do a step-by-step too, if required.

Jailbreak = you can do pretty much anything you want with it.
Unlock = you can use any carrier with it.

I've always had mine JB & unlocked, but have not yet bothered with my new 3GS.

Bumder With A Buffer
First rule about "Jailbreak" is u don't talk about jailbreak on here........

(or so I thought)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Jailbreaking is fine to discuss.

My Jailbroken 3G. I couldn't handle a un-jailbroken iPhone now. Boring and very limited.

GetAttachment.aspx

Bumder With A Buffer
So in that case anyone care to tell us noobs how to do it??? There's soo many things thrown up in google I don't know which to use :(

Last edited:
  330Ci (Fail)Sport
I jailbroke my touch straight away, i've not yet jailbroken my 3GS.

Jailbreak = you can do pretty much anything you want with it.
Unlock = you can use any carrier with it.

I've always had mine JB & unlocked, but have not yet bothered with my new 3GS.

Any reason for this? I've got one too since launch but worried incase it affects the warranty. I assume it keeps a log of what you've done to it, but once swapped at an apple store (if any problems, assuming they'll replace there and then for any reason) will they bother checking the log?

Madness!

It is, without doubt, the best thing you can do with your iPhone/iTouch. If you're not finding it useful, you're not doing it correctly, or making full use of the benefits. Fact.

If you'd like, I could do a write-up for the uninitiated? I could do a step-by-step too, if required.

Yes please!! Seriously, that would be a great help to me. I have an IPod touch, latest gen running 3.0 software. i have hacked everything else i own but i dont know macs or anything about the touch or the Iphone software so i would really appreciate it if its not too much trouble

cheers

Any reason for this? I've got one too since launch but worried incase it affects the warranty. I assume it keeps a log of what you've done to it, but once swapped at an apple store (if any problems, assuming they'll replace there and then for any reason) will they bother checking the log?

No reason other than that I still have my unlocked 2G for using abroad with pre-pay SIMS if and when I need it. The major upside of jailbreaking is themes, but TBH after years of tinkering, I prefer the standard Apple theme. Also, version 3 now includes many of the features that JBing provided, such as MMS and copy & paste.

You're very unlikely to have any warranty issues as a direct result from JBing. In fact I can't think of a reason why it's even possible.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

IIRC you can wipe all the jailbreak apps off, and go back to standard settings easy enough, with apple being none the wiser.

I will jailbreak my 3GS soon ;)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
No reason other than that I still have my unlocked 2G for using abroad with pre-pay SIMS if and when I need it. The major upside of jailbreaking is themes, but TBH after years of tinkering, I prefer the standard Apple theme. Also, version 3 now includes many of the features that JBing provided, such as MMS and copy & paste.

You're very unlikely to have any warranty issues as a direct result from JBing. In fact I can't think of a reason why it's even possible.

Oh right ok, cheers. I'm ok with the standard theme for the mo as its my first iPhone so will live with it a bit longer.

Only warranty concern was if Apple found out it was JB rather than a result of JBing it.

IIRC you can wipe all the jailbreak apps off, and go back to standard settings easy enough, with apple being none the wiser.

I will jailbreak my 3GS soon ;)

I see, cheers.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Madness!

Cheers for that mate, i have been jailbreaking since my first iphone 2g and yes i agree their are benefits but for me they are outweighed by its faults

I prefer my as standard, everyone to their own though :)