ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jammed in reverse

My 172 got jammed in reverse yesterday and would not come out. RAC finally managed to release the gear after 20 minuteswork.

I have now had fresh gear box oil the oil oil had a very tiny trace of silver on the top.

Seems smoother now i have had fresh oil.

The gear box was a reconditioned one and has been on the car 17 months.

It has on a couple of times jammed trying to go into first after reversing but cleared straight after going back into reverse.

Should i be worried?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Normally, when they start sticking or locking up its a sign that a tolerance is wrong or something has badly worn internally. It will most likely do it again I'm afraid.

I'd say you need it removing and inspecting chap. Any other problems like noise, stiff/loose selection?

reconditioned boxes are just a can of worms

Not really, it depends entirely who did it the work and what they've changed to deem it "reconditioned". I won't rebuild gearboxes as I hate shimming and spacing and if you get something wrong it goes very bad so I send them out to a guy who is an ex-Hewlands master tech (he's also that old I swear he knew Jesus).

My question to the OP is who did the reconditioning work 17mths ago and have you been in touch with them to see what can be done or was this a "fully reconditioned" 2nd hand unit from eBay that turned up all covered in oil/grease/8 yrs of crud?

Mick

I had no other problem rather than this two.

I am with you Mick and think that the best solution is removing and inspecting.

I will keep you update