ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JC5 Box with cable change

Renault Clio Super 1600
Are there any gearboxes in the Renault range that would take the same internals as a JC5, but use a cable change instead of the normal rod type set-up?

Many thanks

Renault Clio Super 1600
Could JC5 internals fit if the casings were machined at all, if it was a clearance issue?

My race car has the gear stick moved further back, because the seating position is further back than standard. It is jumping out of gear over jumps and crests. We assume its because the gearstick is have a bit more weight behind it and with the extra length on the gear change rod its causing it to jump out.

And yes, if it was on cables we could move it to a better place too.

Hal

I'm looking to do similar Hal but for different reasons, mine has got a load of play and slop in the gear change so by going cable would mean we could locate anywhere and have the reliability of the gearchange back. The only problem I have is I have to use the stock box for my series.
I guess you want to use the internals because you have a diff and don't want to change driveshafts?

I'm afraid I don't know an easy solution but if you come up with anything please let me know! Ohh and mine doesn't jump out of gear and mines along way back, have you tried a stock dogbone mount instead of an uprated one?

Don't suppose you have any pics of how you relocated the gearstick do you? Do you have the same issue as me with the slop?

Thanks
James

Renault Clio Super 1600
Hi James,

My gearbox is a gripper dog box, with LSD, so the only standard parts inside the box are the selector forks.

Because it is a dog box I think it has eliminated a lot of any potential slop.

I don't hav any photos but I could take some at the weekend for you. Do you have any photos of yours?

My engine is mounted on all custom mounts, we have had to refabricate the subframe to clear exhaust manifolds and stuff.

Cheers
Hal

Hi James,

My gearbox is a gripper dog box, with LSD, so the only standard parts inside the box are the selector forks.

Because it is a dog box I think it has eliminated a lot of any potential slop.

I don't hav any photos but I could take some at the weekend for you. Do you have any photos of yours?

My engine is mounted on all custom mounts, we have had to refabricate the subframe to clear exhaust manifolds and stuff.

Cheers
Hal
Hi Hal,

Thanks for the PM :) I didn't even realise that gripper did a dog box for the JC5! Have you managed to work out if you can put the internals into another box? I know that the twinge one requires a different diff so I guess different internals.

Ahhh I never realised that would help with it!

That very kind thank you :) There are a few pictures in my thread which Jack has kindly linked to (thanks :)) None of them are very clear though and at a quick skim I couldn't find any but I will get some when I get the car back with me and post up what solution I come up with!

Sounds like an impressive car!!

Thanks for the info :)

Wow that is anything but a standard! Nice work :) Thanks mate don't worry if you can't i'm not going to anything to mine till July so I've got a while to devise a plan!