ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JL Audio Sub and Amp - advice

Has anyone any experience of JL Subs / Amps ?

Am building up modest ICE in my 172 and now want a Sub & Amp. Budget of £200. Looking at the JL 10W0v2 Sub and JL J2 250.1 Amp, but looking for advice please.

JL products seem to get good reviews on here and seem above Kenwood, Alpine, JBL etc, is that right ? Would the above setup be classed as a 'good entry level' sub / amp setup. Thats all i'm looking for really, nothing crazy.

Thanks,
AJ.

My friend has a JL sub (not sure what make) but it sounds alright, nice punch.

Personal advice, I have a Vibe Slick 12" which is awesome, very loud, think it was £150 including the amp & wiring kit

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Years ago I had a laguna with 4 12'' JL12WO subs and 2 phoenix gold amps.

If you had a CD playing at half volume, it used to make the CD player skip. Awesome subs imo. (But that was a few years ago... Like ten!! lol)

JL stuff in general should be considered high end (I have a 10W7), I would not buy any other brand if your aim is SQ. If you just want bass then there are other brands that give higher output but sacrifice the quality of sound.

Stripped yozza'd cup
As said, JL audio make great stuff. Excellent value for money, sounds great and looks great too.

I used to run a car audio install company and I had JL audio stuff in my own car.

Iceberg 172
I had a w3 10" jl sub and it was a great sub.

But... Depending on what you want the box a sub is in is a huge factor. I have a mate with 2 12" Sony xplod subs... They're s**t. But in a directed audio bandpass box they sound amazing!

Stripped yozza'd cup
I had a w3 10" jl sub and it was a great sub.

But... Depending on what you want the box a sub is in is a huge factor. I have a mate with 2 12" Sony xplod subs... They're s**t. But in a directed audio bandpass box they sound amazing!

This man speaks the truth.... more important than the sub itself.... There's plenty of online calculators to work out box size, port size and length etc....

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I would highly recommend JL Audio, in my clio 1.2 i have the full JL package, C2 6x9's, V2 5.25 front components, 2x12W0V2 subs running from a g-max 1200 monoblock amp, and the speakers run from a g4600 4 channel amp. JL is great if you want decent quality sound through the volume range, there are louder systems available, a mate of mine has a vibe blackair system which is very loud, but the quality drops off with the higher volumes, whereas my JL doesn't, if you want a very musical system which still kicks out alot of sound then JL is the way to go.

06 Clio 1.2
my mates just bought 2 12" JL Subs and a sony amp from skiptoncarradio for £280 including fitting so that wasnt bad at all to say the 2 12" were £120each a pop and the amp is £120 seperate

Thanks for the replies.

I want the JL 10" WO pack, which comes with a sealed non ported box. Would you think thats a major sound disadvantage because it's not ported ? I tried some online calculators but i'm a bit lost tbh. Some of the fields on the calculator aren't even listed in the sub spec so I gave up.

Iceberg 172
It depends what you want.

Back in the day the rules were...

1) Sealed = Punch
2) Ported = Low down boom

But now there are all sorts of box's which can make a s**t sub sound great and a good sub sound amazing!

I've always had a sealed box until I got an Orion HCCA and I had to get a custom box and I let my ICE man do his thing... it was a slotted box with some fancy compartments inside... It did absolutely kick harder than I've ever experienced from another sub and dropped so low it made me feel sick.

I think you'll be fine with a sealed enclosure... I was just throwing another equation into the mix.