ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Judder and wheel wobble

Clio 172
Just looking for opinions on what might be causing these problems.

When taking off from stopped in first gear, the whole car judders slightly in low revs until the car is moving and the engine is at about 2500 rpm. My old polo gti used to do this, but the clutch pedal was very creaky and sticky, like it was siezed. The clio is not like this, which is why I think it might not be clutch related. Also, under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, there is quite a loud knocking coming from the front of the car. Could both of these be engine/gearbox mount related?

Also, when driving, my rear drivers side wheel wobbles quite a bit, almost like it is unbalanced. The suspension in this side of the car also seems to be quite creaky, and when driving it sounds like the wheel bearing is on its way out. Also when driving on bumpy ground it sounds like a rattle is coming from the boot, the only sound i can think of that describes it is like a keyring hitting off the steering wheel hub when driving, its not loud, but i can hear it. Could this be wheel bearing related, or would the creak/rattle indicate that maybe a shock or topmount may be the cause of the problem?

Thanks;)

ValverInBits
wow. car sounds like a skip!

Wheel bearings yes. almost definitely. Also took at shock topmounts, and engine mounts.

Clio 172
also, just to mention that i tried taking off in 1st gear using the clutch pedal alone and not touching the throttle. Doing this there was absolutely no judder when taking off. If that helps find the solution to the problem at all??

Oh and the whinig noise that appears to come from one of the rear wheels only comes at about 80-100kmph in 5th gear, so say 3000rpm. I jacked the car up to see if there was any play in the wheels and there wasn't even the tinyest bit in any of the wheels.

Last edited:
  330i. E30 Touring.
If it's only when revving the engine, I'd assume something to do with the mounts.

Whining from rear wheels is almost certainly a wheel bearing.

Clio 172
Well i got a mechanic to check it over, turns out I was fairly spot on with what i initially thought it was. Rear drivers side wheel is slightly buckled, which wrecked the bearing in the disc.

And as for the clunking, my dogbone mount bushes, and exhaust hangers are fairly tarnished.

Easy fix, now off to place an order with k-tec for a rear brake kit, group n mounts, powerflex dogbone bushes and exhaust hangers....:cool: