ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just a bit of advice needed.

172 Flamer
Hi guys.

Over the last couple of months I have been reading through this section of the website, in addition to other photography sites.

I have been really inspired by some of peoples efforts on the 365 projects, and only wish I could be half as good.

I have a D40, I know its a bit 'poverty spec' but I think its great to get starting with. For christmas my misses bought me a new lens, Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG.

As we went for a bit of a drive, having a little play with the new lens, I took a random photo with it, I am quite pleased with how it came out, but I was just wondering if there is any way of improving/tweaking it to make it look any better, as I'm still very much a begginer. I can't remember 100% but I think the settings were on auto.

DSC_1826.jpg

Any advice would be great. Don't be too nice, if its just Sh**, just tell me lol

If anyone wants to have a go in photoshop to show me what can be done, please feel free. And I have photoshop so any advice on that is appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Not a lot needed really, its a piece of wood!!!
Random pieces of wood are not that exciting.

DSC_1826.jpg

as above really, get a more interesting subject. Pieces of wood can be interesting, this one misses the mark a little though.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
get in close, capture some texture. Use side lighting to capture texture.

Convert to Monochrome, include some rusty nails in the wood, get an insect crawling across the wood, urm.....help everyone

172 Flamer
I get what your all saying, thanks for the constructive criticism, it seems I really do have a lot of practicing to do. LOL

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Course you don't. your exposure is spot on and composition is good.
Point of focus is ok, just a dull subject tbh.

172 Flamer
I will go away and take everything said on board, and see if I find something a bit more interesting. lol

Thanks

172 Flamer
Cheers guys, some really good looking photo's there, will have a tidy nose around on the weekend when I'm off work. I find flickr quite good too, having a look through the 'interestingness' pages.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
here are the settings you used mate:

Exif IFD0

* Camera Make = NIKON CORPORATION
* Camera Model = NIKON D40
* Picture Orientation = normal (1)
* Last Modified Date/Time = 2010:01:01 21:26:12

Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 25/10000 second ===> 1/400 second ===> 0.0025 second
* Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 5/1 ===> ƒ/5
* ISO Speed Ratings = 400
* Original Date/Time = 2009:12:28 12:35:15
* Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
* Focal Length = 70/1 mm ===> 70 mm
* Image Width = 3008 pixels
* Image Height = 2000 pixels

i converted it to black and white which can work well with textures, although as stated maybe try and find a slightly more interesting piece of wood

stick.jpg

"Navy" N17 TWO
Nice shot Gareth, the D40 is a good wee camera to start off with, it was my first DSLR too (still have it)
Got the D90 now and still learning :)