ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought a lovely 197......

197 & volvo 740
Been away from renault sport for a while but came up thru a 172 cup, 182 and 182 trophy back in the day. Had a mini gp for a while which was a superb machine but a baby on the way now so needed to back to 4 seats.

This popped up for sale beside me, '07 197, totally original with one driver from new and 13k miles. Couldn't believe it when I saw it, it even has it's original continental tyres all round. He's had it serviced in renault 7 times, all belts done last year at 11800 miles.

After a bit of heavy negotiation the deal was done. Don't intend to do anything to it other than keep it immaculate and try keep the miles down, already 400 done since Thursday when I picked it up! Great to be back in a sport clio, you forget how well they drive when you've been away for a while.

2jdny48.jpg

a2syo2.jpg

197 & volvo 740
Changed the front ones already with continental sport contact 5's, the rears are so good it seems a pity, but maybe will do next month!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
To be fair I don't know much about 197s... just noticed it didn't have Recaros or anthracite wheels! Also looks pretty high.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As Daniel said, it's got the front aero splitter, cup spoiler and climate control.

Anth wheels just means cup pack.

Going to see one tomorrow with xenons, cornering lights, climate and cup spoiler. Then picking up some recaros the day after.

Sweeeet

197 & volvo 740
I keep hearing/reading about the box. I must say in this is the 5th renaultsport clio I've owned since 2004 and I've never had a drive train issue. This one feels absolutely perfect too. It's in for a service in renault next week so I'll ask for the gearbox oil to be changed.

Surely if something does go wrong it's not the end of the world? My new style panda 4x4 had the synchro go in second gear, I got the box done up by a local gearbox company for £350.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
New gearboxes can be picked up for <£600, so it's not a major problem if it goes. It's not a common as is made out either, it's just we only hear about the bad ones.

Clio Sport 197
As Daniel said, it's got the front aero splitter, cup spoiler and climate control.

Going to see one tomorrow with xenons, cornering lights, climate and cup spoiler. Then picking up some recaros the day after.
Don't get recaros, I have a 197 and the seats are so much more comfortable, durable and they hug nice anyway. A trade in 200 came in to my work before with 40k and both recaros were worn through exposing the frame on the outer edges. Mines got 68k and the seats are nearly mint.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Don't get recaros, I have a 197 and the seats are so much more comfortable, durable and they hug nice anyway. A trade in 200 came in to my work before with 40k and both recaros were worn through exposing the frame on the outer edges. Mines got 68k and the seats are nearly mint.
I disagree. Drove back with the car with the standard seats and the lumbar support doesn't go low enough for me so my back was really sore.

Drove all the way back north (4 hours) with 1 stop and my back was fine in the recaros.

Clio 4 RS cup

There was some talk of replacement headlights for the Clio 4 with zenons and led's. they appear to be made in Turkey and I can't find and proper info.
My understanding is that Zenons need to have self leveling.
I also cannot find a web site

Clio Sport 197
I disagree. Drove back with the car with the standard seats and the lumbar support doesn't go low enough for me so my back was really sore.

Drove all the way back north (4 hours) with 1 stop and my back was fine in the recaros.
I guess it's down to preference then. I've gone to Chester and back I was fine but sitting in the recaros for 2 minutes I knew I couldn't stand them.

197 & volvo 740
400 mile round trip to cork completed this week. Handeled the motorway better than I expected. Yes it's short geared, 4500 average rpm, but mpg remained very reasonable and it was quiet. It also it right in the power band at that engine speed in top gear, ideal for dealing with pesky tdi Audi drivers!

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Where's a good place to pick a set of recaro's and how much are they?
Look on posh clio. net irish boy dont pay any more than £500 for a recao seat px and you will need your airbag ecu reset at a main stealer or the little spanner comes on. I wish i had never played with my red 197 and left it standard.
smithfieldsclio_zps43903bfc.jpg

197 & volvo 740
Into renault for a service today, it had plugs etc 2k miles ago (2 years tho) so I just asked for the oil and filter plus the gearbox oil. £192 all in. Expensive for what it was to be honest, only went there to keep up the full renault history.