ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just Cause 2

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
If you knew the stats about the original Just Cause, you'll know that the game boasted over an alleged 1000 miles of fully explorable cities, jungles, deserts and mountains. It was absolutely huge. Trouble is, with that much area, things got a bit samey and boring, and you ended up repeating the same missions and doing similar things. This brought the game down with the thud.

The rumour is the demo of Just Cause 2 will be an open 38 square miles with towns and villages and military installations to explore and the demo itself will have hours of gameplay. I believe the demo hits today, as stated at the bottom of this post.

The orders are simple: hunt down and execute a rogue agent that has stolen top-secret intelligence and millions in Agency cash. For agent Rico Rodriguez, the mission is anything but routine. The target is Tom Sheldon, Rico’s former commanding officer, mentor and friend; a man who knows Rico better than he knows himself.

Sheldon went dark while operating in the corrupt island nation of Panau. There, three rival gangs wage war in the streets while the ruthless dictator Baby Panay rules the island with an iron fist. With the resources of the Agency at his disposal, Rico must infiltrate the island and locate Sheldon, setting off a violent chain of events that will set Panau ablaze.

Each of Rico’s assignments can be tackled by land, sea or air with more than 100 vehicles including tactical jeeps, attack helicopters and jet fighters. As the Agency’s best, Rico can execute a range of breathtaking new stunts, utilizing his trademark parachute and upgraded grapple to reach any location in Panau. Somewhere on the 400 square mile island of white sand beaches, scorching deserts and snow-capped peaks, Sheldon awaits.

[YOUTUBE]FNT5YdnHHUU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JEbruLNRci0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8BOtdFUDdFI[/YOUTUBE]

PS3 Only Youtube Feature
[YOUTUBE]AMLuuzKyDzs[/YOUTUBE]

RELEASE DATE
USA: March 23
EU: March 26

The Just Cause 2 demo will be available March 4th, 2010, on PlayStation®Network, Xbox LIVE® Marketplace and Steam.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yeah, so did IGN and the Official Mags, but the average score was brought down by very low marks indeed from other reviews.

PMSL @ over 1000sq km, though. That is f*cking insane.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
It's the size of the game that's ridiculous. Just Cause is the biggest open world game ever. Quite literally hundreds and hundreds of square miles. LOL.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Just had a blast on the demo. The playing field is utterly massive, the video scene which follows the 30 minute demo emphasises this, too. Incredible.

As for the game itself, I quite enjoyed it. Never played the first so took some getting used to. It seems like a colourful, fun game, rather than being a realistic and graphical experience - although that's not to say they're poor.

Will be interesting to see just how much you can see in the 30 minutes you're given for each play through, given the size of the area you can explore.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Demo is f**king awesome

I want more than 30 minutes :(

I launched a tuk tuk off a cliff, jumped out, sailed down next to it.. it went boooooooooooom

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
PMSL. I hadn't played the first one, so it was all a new experience to me. Pretty cool how you can interact with stuff. Shooting the gas cannisters and watching them fire off into random directions is cool :cool:

I think the shooting and targetting might be a bit slapdash, but overall it's a lot of fun. The sheer size of it, once again, is mental.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Was given 86% in Gamesmaster Magazine. Negatives were lots of hair-tearing missions with poor checkpoint design, along with a few bugs here and there.

It's crammed with missions, secrets and things to do, and the island itself is ginormous.

They also said the XB360 version was crisper and had a better frame rate compared to the PS3 game.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Getting pretty decent reviews :

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/justcause2

1UP - 10/10 'This game is so well designed that time after time in my playthrough I thought, "Man, wouldn't it be great if this game had X?" and then, lo and behold, X appears, like the albatross to the Ancient Mariner, except in a totally good way that doesn't cause the mass suffering and death of my shipmates. Honestly, I can't think of any reason why anyone who loves video games won't enjoy JC2.'

ZTGameDomain - 9.8/10 'The Terminator 2 of videogames. A sequel that contained all that made the original so good, without all the boring and unrefined portions...This is by far the most fun I have ever had with an open-world game.'

Game Informer - 9/10 'One of the most enjoyable sandboxes for players to experiment in this side of Grand Theft Auto.'

Eurogamer - 8/10 'One of the most technically accomplished games around, Just Cause 2 succeeds in delivering both the best-looking and most pleasant open world to explore and some of the most thrilling and diverse ways of moving through it. Its thrills are intense and, for the first few hours, come fast and dizzying, dulling only when you start to see the dry order that lies behind the chaos'

IGN - 8.8/10 'I haven't had this much fun with an open-world game in years. Just Cause 2 is over-the-top and insanely fun. There are some issues in the game's presentation and the checkpoint system is far from perfect, but Just Cause 2 is otherwise a must-play for adrenaline junkies.'

Gamespot - 8.0/10 'Crazy stunts, a huge gameworld, and a playful attitude make Just Cause 2 a lot of fun despite its annoyances.'

:cool:

57 Clio Campus Sport
Getting this, demo was alright, reminded me of mercenaries a bit.

What was a bit annoying, I went to base and destroyed a load of crap but still only got it to 86% and couldn't work out how to get the rest as no people left, everything destroyed etc

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got this 'free' off Steam last week. They had Batman Arkham Asylum for £14.99 alone. Or you could get it bundled with Just Cause for £13.49. Bit of a no brainer really!

Still haven't tried it yet, mind. I might give it a bash tonight.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got this 'free' off Steam last week. They had Batman Arkham Asylum for £14.99 alone. Or you could get it bundled with Just Cause for £13.49. Bit of a no brainer really!

Still haven't tried it yet, mind. I might give it a bash tonight.

D.

Did try the first game last night. Oh dear. I know it's from 2006 but taking on enemies is on par with the first Doom game from '94. And at least in that game they had the 'intelligence' to react and follow. Blowing away one guard in a hail of lead, while his m8 just stands 10ft away and does nothing is just stupid.

As Scuth says though, the play area is HOOOGE. I think if they had got the game mechanics better and not make it play so s**t, it would have had massive potential. Hopefully the 2nd game is much better.

D.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
It is, Darren, according to the reviews. They've fixed the problems of the first and shoved in so much stuff to do and unlock to keep you occupied.

I can see it getting frustrating at times, though, because it's so big. It's the biggest open plan world in a game ever (Just Cause that is - over 1000sq km!!) I think this one has been scaled down a tad but it's still utterly massive.

Octy VRS
Just being a pedantic c**t but Fuel I believe has the claim to the biggest open world plan game at 14,400 km².
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_(2009_video_game)

Back on track I'd like to get this but feel it may have a touch of Far Cry 2 about it which puts me off. Initially I liked it but it all got a bit samey. Hopefully they've added a lot more diversity to this.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Just being a pedantic c**t but Fuel I believe has the claim to the biggest open world plan game at 14,400 km².
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_(2009_video_game)

Back on track I'd like to get this but feel it may have a touch of Far Cry 2 about it which puts me off. Initially I liked it but it all got a bit samey. Hopefully they've added a lot more diversity to this.

Yes you are being a pedant. But an accurate one ;)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Ok. So I put the disc in cause I'm having a break from god of war. Figure give it a shot. Immediately presented with some stupid story full of cliches and graphics fairly average. Ok I think. Give it a chance. Played for 20 minutes. What a load of laughs this game is. It's a bit stupid but it's brilliant (so far). Loads of fun just mowing the bad guys down.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
oh yeh it's massive, but i've been rocking around in attack choppers blowing the s**t out of people....did that for an hour, seems like endless fun. quite underrated this i rekon. see how it goes though. i've done 2% of the game in 2 hours...

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I wouldn't say underrated considering the reviews it's getting. Averaging around 85% which is great.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I think the one thing I found disappointing from the demo was the skitterish handling of the vehicles. It was as if they were all on ice. Still, I think it's more about fun than realism.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
thats true actually, but most of the time i've been in attack choppers anyway :evil:

57 Clio Campus Sport
Put just over 3 hours in today. It quite big lol. Still annoyed I can't seem to get 100% on any places. Can't find anything else to blow up.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Ahhh that could be it then. I got one to 91% from helicopter so must be a box down there.

It's great you can fly 747 etc.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
It all remind me of garrys mod from half life 2. Bolting your enemies to gas bottles and watching them go. I also like attaching them to cars.

It remins me a lot of far cry 2. Just the equipment will make it amezin'

Exact replica of LOST island found lol:

As you fly over the island your plane suddenly burst's into flame's causing you to parachute down etc..

[youtube]t8r7rlJQ3pk[/youtube]

Octy VRS
Think I'll use some vouchers today and get this. Looked at some Tube vids and it looks like a good timewaster until Red Dead comes out.

Goliath I
Just had this come through my Lovefilm! lol probably the first time they've ever sent me a rental on its release day