ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just crashed the clio :-(

Rb 182

I am so gutted! The ice is really getting bad now just came around a sharp corner in my street and it just started to slid. I tried to avoided a crash but i mounted the curb and just missed somones fence. Luckly i had my winter steelies on so , one of those is now square! lol. And now the wheel sits really far back towards the door. Any idea what the problem is and how much it might be to fix?

Cheers Dave :(

Rb 182

Meh really annoyed at myself. Ive got the wheels off down at my lock up so i will have a look tommorw and see what it is.

Dave

Most likely wont be any worse than arm/knuckle/track end. probably £300 tops?

I did it to my old Metro GTa some years back, wheel was hanging off at 30 degrees. I didnt blame the weather though ;)

Main thing is nobody was hurt. Bad news though :(

Rb 182

Ill have to see whats acctually up with it. Hope its nothing too bad! If theres a major problem i will rebuild her with some wild plans! Watch this space!

Dave

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Will get a proper look tommorrow D, but at least no body work damage. Just steal whatever you need off Liams car!

PS will be around roughly half 10 for definite

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

UnLucky fella, i dont use my car now as much..... I have gone from doing 250 miles a week to 25 pmsl!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 28 December 2004

UnLucky fella, i dont use my car now as much..... I have gone from doing 250 miles a week to 25 pmsl!
About the same as me Little Newms!! ;)

Audi TT Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by jaspa on 28 December 2004

Probably the front subframe is bent !

Yup... or bottom arm!

Im currently rebuilding a crashed 2.0 16v Megane Coupe.......... Gotta replace the subframe tomorrow. Scrap yards sell em for about £50. But most of them are bent... So you have to be careful and try and find a good one (rear end shut cars).

Ive been quoted £90 for a brand new subframe for the Megane, So i wouldnt imagine it to be too expensive for you to fix a Clio 172, if you can fit the parts yourself.

http://www.xtr.me.uk/temp/Megane%20Phase1/DSC04571.JPG

Look at how the front wheel is pushed back. Thats because of a bent bottom arm and buckled subframe... The bottom arm has since been replaced and has brought the wheel forward a bit, but we then discovered damage to the subframe, so that needs replacing now.

Rb 182

Right just been down and had a proper look at the damage and taken a few photos. The wishbone defo needs changed as its hit the kerb and has a dent in it, should i change the balljoint bolt whilst im at it?

Also the antiroll bar looks a bit damaged, do you reckon it needs replaced as well? Anything else that may be damaged that you can think of?

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1104321830__Goodside.jpgGoodside of ARB

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1104321825__Badside.jpgBadside of ARB

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1104321839__Wheelon.jpgHow far back the wheel is pushed

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1104321835__Squeel.jpgWheel

Still gutted

Dave

Audi TT Quattro

ahh. old shape clio.. i thought it was a newish one.

From looking at the pictures I think id be tempted to change the Anti Roll bar, and also the bottom arm, and ball joint. The rest is probably ok.

Looks like a nasty bash when looking at the damaged wheel.

Shouldnt be too much to fix.... Probably get most of the parts from the scrap yard!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Rb 182

Just back from my garage and had my mechanic (my uncle lol) take a look at it. The front subframe is definatly bent so the engine is now coming out and a new front suframe has been sorced! Was going for a possible engine converson but cash wont allow it so I am sticking with the Rt engine but will get it running sweetly while its out. I want the car back on the road for Crail on Febuary 6th. So thats the deadline. Ill get all the stuff i want done to it while its off the road,

Any one wanna help? ;)

Dave

Audi TT Quattro

Whyd ya need to take the engine out to change the subframe?

On the Megane Coupe we changed the subframes without lifting the engine out. Just left it hanging on the engine mounts.

Rb 182

^^^^^Can anyone tell me if this is the same for a Mk1 1.4 Rt on a "k" plate? From what i have been told its an engine out job.

Dave

Rb 182

You better! lol. I have a lot to do to it so Feb is when i except it to be finnished. Does any one know if the engine can stay in while talking the front subframe out? John I am going down tommorow to get the bonnet off and a few other bits, so have a Happy New Year. See you all next year!

Dave

Rb 182

Bump!

Can anyone tell me if you need to remove the engine to change the front subframe on a Mk1 clio?

Cheers Dave :(

you dont need to remove the engine mate. You can simply disconnect the steering rack from the column, the bottom dog leg mount for the engine, those two little bars from the subframe to the arches (cant remeber what there called), and the disconnect the susspesion somewhere and then just undo the 4 bolts securing the subframe.

Easier to change over the good wishbone etc while the subframe is off and then put it back on as a complete unit.

Cant see any advantage of taking the engine out.

Mark

Rb 182

Good! I like the sound of that. I was working on her today and diconected the steering rack, the two wishbones for the suspention turrets, the antiroll bar, the bottom engine mount, the exhaust from the mainfold and the gear selector. Hopefully i will have the front subframe out by tommorow lunch time.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Dave

Clio MK3 1.6 Dynamique

Unlucky mate, Hope you get it sorted soon, I actually did something similer.. turned to sharply & it skidded about 7/8ft away.. except luckly it was in a Safeway carpark.. and it was half 8 in the mornin, so it was empty.. (and if it wasnt bad enough, it was my first skid - as i only passed my test in september..) and I sh** myself tbh! :/

Anyway hope you get it sorted soon m8, gl.

Rb 182

Right been down today and have loosened the rear 2 bolts on the subframe but for some reason they are not dropping out. Are they meant to or are they part of the subframe even when completly loose? Also does the subframe drop out or does it need hammered out.

All to do now is remove the front 2 bolts and should fall out (With a bit of luck!!)

Cheers
Dave