ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just found out my cars cat c ????

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
just bought my first car a Clio 1.2 dynamic sent the new owners slip away and its come back saying it needs a vic (vehicle inspection check) before i can get the log book as its been accident damage cat c, what do i do just payed £1200 for it thinking its all good and being hit with this if id known when i was looking a wouldn't of bought it, anyway the person who i got it of said the best they can do is pay for the vic check so do i get it done and sell it and save up and buy another or what im extremely pissed at this and dont even want the car any more a mean its a good runner etc been using it a few weeks but also it has two little kind of bumps on the roof each side next to the sunroof do all clio mk2 have these or is it of it beeing crashed any help much appreciated just feel like packing this car stuff in

An orange one
You should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hpi check a car before you buy one

Not only could it be cat c/d etc but it could have finance owned on it or be stolen recovered etc...

Its a mistake you will only make once I'm sure :(

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
yer ano but you trust people and a took him at his word saying it hasn't been damaged etc so a didn't bother and yer it was privet but a lesson a wont forget, the text thing is only £3 aswell

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
yer done the text check every things good except the cat c and it says no record of a vic inspection

An orange one
Proper one will set you back about £20, think of it in terms of fuel money, it's such a small amount in the grand scheme of buying a car it's crazy not to

Also the text checks do not give out finance information etc

German V6
Even if he said it had never been damaged just remember , everybody lies, only thing you can do now is just get the VIC done either sell the car on and be truthful or keep the car and not let it bother you.

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
yer think il just have to get it checked and keep it to be fair it is lovely car, looks good and runs perfect but will defiantly check in future car buying defiantly worth the £20 and does anyone know how much the vic costs

What a complete s**t for doing that.
Ok, it's one thing not disclosing if not asked (not that I would even do that tbh ), but to tell lies like that is really cuntish.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The way you've described it, the guy you bought it off crashed it, claimed insurance money, repaired it, sold it.

It is a very very cuntish thing to do.

Sadly though, as long as people like you keep buying cars without checking properly (not just taking a fat mate who used to work at kwikfit!) then there will be people like this.

If I was in your position, i'd drive the heap of s**t back to his house and get my money back. If that means dragging him out of his front door by his neck then so be it.

If he's done this, I can guarantee that he's made a complete bodge up of the repair.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Luckily for you it was only a £1200 car, imagine spending £10k+ and finding that out.

Anyway, massive fail for not HPI'ing it.

Lesson learned.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Oh dear, big mistake not doing the proper HPI check.

I would ask for refund from seller if no good, his house might need new windows for sure!

The car you bought is basically worthless, as mentioned lesson learnt.

LY 182
Re the bumps in the roof you were talking about, when they've been front ended they tend to fold at the weak points which are either side of the sunroof

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Re the bumps in the roof you were talking about, when they've been front ended they tend to fold at the weak points which are either side of the sunroof

I missed that part. Tbf it could have s new bumper and kink the roof. They're so susceptible to that even from small bumps.

172 cup
we have all gone and bought a bad or duff car at some time , but this is how you get experiance in buying cars , look at it has a lesson learned. at least it was a cheap car ....................

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Might me worth popping over to the sellers house and having a polite word.

It may be in his interest to give you a refund as it may cost him more in the long run (if you know what I mean).

But always keep it calm and polite :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
we have all gone and bought a bad or duff car at some time , but this is how you get experiance in buying cars , look at it has a lesson learned. at least it was a cheap car ....................

Mine was an MG metro. It was the first car that I bought without my Dad being there. I got it home for him to open the bonnet of my new 1.3 hot hatch pride and joy, when he said ''Its got a 1.0 engine from a base model you dick'' shut the bonnet and walked off.

Ffs.

alfa 145/Clio 197cup
If he's told you it's never been crashed but owned it at the time it was written off, the HPi report will tell you the date then clearly he has lied and you have the proof.

I'd be asking for a refund.

alfa 145/Clio 197cup
The other thing is if he's given you the new owner slip, did you see the rest of the log book?

If he had the log book and it was written off whilst in his ownership he would have been asked to return that log book to the DVLA, not sure if thats an offence or not but it is something he should have done.

Was it a red log book or the older blue one?

If it was the older blue log book he might have sent off the red one (the new type) and duped you with the older blue one.

Ibiza FR Edition
I did similar on my last car... Although it was bought for me without a check... You can't trust anyone, parents asked previous owner the question and he said no... Even though he wrote it off whilst owning it... This is illegal! If someone asks the question and you know it has been written off you must declare it, although you do not have to make someone who doesn't ask aware of it. I sold my car to a family member so obviously I told them. Even it I had advertised it I would have said though... Honesty is the best policy. I have been on the receiving end so know how it feels!

My ph2 172 came back as cat D on the text check, got the logbook the other day and the logbook is clear - DVLA know nothing about damage/cat d, is this normal?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it's a £1200 car. Just have the VIC done and have it checked over. It's probably been written off as it's such low value rather than anything serious

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
Yeh the dents either side of the sunroof are from a front impact, I moved over a little to far on a narrow road in my old 1.2 dropped into a ditch and as i hit the end the car bounced out, only damage to the front of the car was a smashed fog light but the roof had buckled at the edge of the sunroof on both sides, at the time mine wasn't declared a cat c/d as the car was worth significantly more back then, I would get the alignment checked on the car to make sure its all sitting straight, as my chassis needed to be straightened out and i was only doing 10-15mph