ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec ITB 90mm Trumpet Filter

I am going to fit a set if K-Tec ITB's and have the 60mm trumpets and 90mm trumpets. From what I am reading I think the 90mm will be better for me as I dont think the standard internals will let it rev high enough to make the most of the shorter trumpets. Firstly am I correct here as I am aware the direct to head K-tec offering is slightly longer than a normal kit with manifold?

If I am correct and the 90mm trumpets would be best then my issue is I don't have a filter plate or filter with the kit and K-tec say they do not have any filter options at the moment for 90mm trumpets.

Is there any filter plate and filter that would fit baring in mind distance to the bonnet and distance from filter to trumpet? Thoughts on individual filter socks?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You need 20mm between the end of the trumpet and the filter + the same again from the filter to the bonnet, a rounded filter will give you more space than a square one.

You'll just have to measure and see what suits best.

Thanks Tom. I have been looking through a lot of other ITB threads and managing to piece together so information. You said in another thread about ideally needing 20mm from the end of the trumpets to the inside of the filter and then 20mm from the outside of the filter to the bonnet. I have seen the Jenvy 50mm deep back plate but that will need the trumpet holes cutting out and also their rounded 65mm deep filter. That should give me 115mm total internal space which would give me 25mm clearance when using 90mm trumpets.

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/home/access...y-dynamics/airbox-backplate-50mm-deep-abb2-50

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/home/access...jenvey-dynamics/air-filter-430x140x65-abf2-65

I would think there needs to be some space as if the distance was too small it would cause a restriction for the air getting to the filter. I have seen cars with holes cut in the bonnet actually but not sure I would want to go down that route as making it look tidy once you have splintered the carbon fibre bonnet wont be easy. Plus it gives away the fact your running ITB's instantly.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Interested to know where you get the 20mm spacing figures from Tom?
One of the filter manufacturers and a bit of research. I can't remember the exact sources but I can remember the figures. I think one may have been Pipercross and the value was 19mm so I rounded it up to 20mm, easier to remember!

Just been reading about the Pipercross filter and they recommend 20mm.
I am looking at the C604D which should be fine providing I can shut the bonnet. All I need to do is see if I can get the right base plate from Jenvy that the pipercross will fit on or get a blank pipercross base plate and have the holes cut out. I wonder if Jenvy would give me the template to use to cut them? The K-Tec plate doesn't look like any other filter other than theirs will go on it?

Clio 200
That grp stepped back plate works great with the shallow jenvey filters. 90mm trumpets fit perfectly inside.
My old engine running the Jenvey backplate and filter (90mm trumpets):
IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

Thanks for those pictures. I think I linked to the Jenvy back box and shallower filter earlier today. This would be a great option but I need to speak to Jenvy as I was confused by their website.

To me it reads like you have to buy the box for £52 and then another £75 to have the holes machined in it to fit the bodies and then you have to buy the filter on top for another £79. And all plus VAT.

Clio 200
Yeah thats the one, and yes their machining cost is ludicrous! A local firm could do it for a lot less, or diy it mate. Just markup carefully and drill.
Hole saw the main holes slightly smaller then buy a flapwheel and ease it out until it's perfect. Bit of rtv sealant and job's a good'un :)

That narrows it down then. Either a flat backing plate with deep pipercross filter or 50mm back box and shallower filter.

I think the back box would be easier to drill out than the plate but Jenvy may sell the plate already drilled to Clio spec if I ask them nicely. I don't think it is listed on there options on the drop down menu.

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/home/access...s/airbox-backplate-flat-zetec-tb-abb2-0-zetec

I am amazed that K-Tec have been selling these for years and still not sorted an easy to obtain solution for running 90mm trumpets which surely everyone knows is a better match for the engine than the 60mm they supply?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The 60mm fits all Clios though whereas a 90mm would only suit a few. Doesn't make financial sense for them which I can understand. I wouldn't want to put time and money into making or trialing a low volume item with little or no profit margin.

Hopefully it will be just a case of deeper air filter and back plate. The K-Tec install videos show the slam panel being removed which I intend to do but it also say the radiator has already been modified. Is it a must to fit a different radiator if putting 90mm trumpets on? I have the golf one you have in my eBay watched list at the ready. ;)

Jenvey wanted £75 +Vat to drill the holes so I thought I would give it a go myself.

Jenvey sent me the measurements but I decided to make a template from card using the bodies mounted to the car to make sure it was spot on.

149A2963-CDD7-4113-83BD-5CD92615784E.jpg

8D05375F-79CC-4B90-91C6-1E3AB0F4AC6A_1.jpg

9D0B7CE6-D166-4069-BEE1-6E603ECC2326.jpg

5C4346F6-F1D0-4B42-AA91-E0543CBB2234.gif

I did have to cut the inner skin on the bonnet to get the bonnet to close. Still a little more to do and tidy up but it fits.

64D6BFA1-681B-4593-B2F6-2F5BE52CE9E8.gif

This is all just a trial fit. One question I do have is do people use any sort of sealant to ensure a good seal as its now the trumpets and bodies are sandwiching a carbon plate?

Clio 200
Nice, carbon version :) I definitley used some RTV gasket between the bodies and the box when I had one. I can't remember if I used any between the box and trumpets though as it was many years ago. Tbh as long as the seal is there at the bodies thats the most important as the trumpets are inside the filtered air anyway.