ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M Timing Procedure/Manual

Clio Sport 182
Hi there,
I have a 2000 'w' Megane 1.6 16v k4m. I'm guessing the same engine as in the clio.
I require a timing procedure as I will be doing the cambelt myself.
I have carried out a cambelt change on a 182 previously which was fine.
I have all the correct locking tools etc.
Could anyone point me in the direction of an online manual or timing procedure for this engine?

Many thanks

Megane dci 130
Essentially the same as the 182 but the crank locking pin is different. It is a screw in type and is mearley a stop to locate TDC. So beware the crank can move anti clockwise when removing the bottom pulley. The camshaft pulley tool is also different. The setting bar is the same though.

HBT 172 Cup
Haha i repaired a snapped cambelt K4M meganne (shitty old thing it was).

Didn't use a crank pin or a pulley locking tool, only had the horshoe tool available. She ran a beauty ;)

But anyway as above its only the crank pin that has any significat difference in function.

Clio Sport 182
Bit of time. I need to find the files/remember to look for them.

Ok that would be great thanks!
I'm guessing I won't need to remove any camshaft pulleys just to do the belt and water pump, so will only need the crank pin and the horse shoe for the cam shafts!
Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Haha i repaired a snapped cambelt K4M meganne (s**tty old thing it was).

Didn't use a crank pin or a pulley locking tool, only had the horshoe tool available. She ran a beauty ;)

But anyway as above its only the crank pin that has any significat difference in function.

Like the F4R though the K4M/J units will happily run with minor inaccuracies with there timing but they don't run at optimum. My Scenic had ”had its belt changed“ and i was always curious why it seemed to pickup idles revs pretty slow and at 70mph, when you put your foot down, you got nothing but a low tone from the engine rather than any real "go".... timing completely wrong!

You need to release the pulleys on these for which you need the sprocket locking tool (Laser make a cheapo unit for around £40 which will suit a DIYer needs). Any slight inaccuracy with the sprocket tooth spacing will allow the cams to slip slightly thus making it appear to be fine but in truth won't be correct so do the job once and do the job right please people.

Mick

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
our little 1.6 16v VVT clio was quick until it had its belt changed.... that was 2 years ago and im going to get it done again to have it done properly this time!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
got the kit will be doing mine in the next week or so. would be interested in reading the renault how to.

Sell me your 197
this thread is making me nervous... i've done the belt change myself on my 172, the car runs fine and seems to run fine but in the back of my head i wonder if it should be going harder!

BMW M135i
this thread is making me nervous... i've done the belt change myself on my 172, the car runs fine and seems to run fine but in the back of my head i wonder if it should be going harder!
Did you slacken the pulleys off and use the correct renault (or copies of) tools?