ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kangoo DCi engines

2004 RB182 Cup
Hi,

I know this isn't clio related but there seems to be some dci gurus on here. I've bought a 2011 Kangoo dci with engine code k9k800. Are any other k9k engines compatible? Like ones from the mk3 clio? Reason I ask is because I've bought this knowing it needs either a new engine or head.

Thanks
Tom

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Yep all MK2 kangoos if they are a 5 speed are jr5 as far as I'm aware, until the latest ones which are now all 6 speed

They revise the engine that often it's worth trying to find one from a similar age and model of van to save any headaches

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yep all MK2 kangoos if they are a 5 speed are jr5 as far as I'm aware, until the latest ones which are now all 6 speed

They revise the engine that often it's worth trying to find one from a similar age and model of van to save any headaches
They only revised the bottom end to fit different gearboxes though cos Renault are lazy b******s😂

Oh and to bolt on yet more emissions s**t. That can all go in the bin though. Nobody needs that sort of negativity in their engine bay

2004 RB182 Cup
Thanks for the replies fellas. So the heads are all the same? Looking in the oil cap I see a m6 bolt lying loose so I think its hit the valves that hard its cracked the cam cap, hence the bolt. Hoping the piston isn't holed.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
They do heads quite a lot and because they're the same everyone holds a premium for a good head (A bit like the women on the streets in Holbeck)

You might be best off just getting a new lump from someone breaking a Megane or Scenic. Majority of the time people don't crank the cam/crank bolts tight enough so it just spins a few teeth and wrecks everything including injectors (so you might need to code yours to the ECU if swapping the lump). They're a lovely simple motor to work on though, get a cooler on it and it should see 30bhp gains without breaking much of a sweat. If it's a blue tag turbo then check for oil down the front of it, they like to spit oil through the seals

2004 RB182 Cup
Lovely! Strangely there is already an intercooler on it. Seems factory fitted. Possibly like the way the clio campus had cooler even though it was 68hp? Can get a head for £100, breaker looking £350 for another k9k800. You reckon any k9k post 06 will go straight in though? Don't want much hassle with injectors and pumps etc

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Pull the injectors with the head still attached (don't try and do them with the head off, I've tried this and it's 10x more difficult if they're stuck 😂 ),if th3ey come out and look okay them you've got lucky. Whip the head off and see what the damage is underneath. I suspect both ends may be chuffed. If the intercooler is low down and a long thin thing then it will be a factory 100/68 cooler. I think the all the new Kangoos came with them

Here are some pics of a dCi 100 I pulled apart that decided it didn't want to live anymore

1575453509349.png
1575453515193.png
1575453520830.png
1575453525498.png

That's the aftermath of dropping a valve at 80mph and then leaving it to lock itself up until it has so much tension on the belt that it melts the tensioner roller too (the lass that owned it was oblivious to the fact that it even dropped a valve and started clattering like an orchestra of tamberines)😂😂 It destroyed absolutely everything on that hole. I didn't even bother salvaging the block or the rods because of the state of it

2004 RB182 Cup
Jesus that's brutal! The intercooler isnt low down. It runs from bottom of radiator to the top. Maybe someone has fitted it

2004 RB182 Cup
Found an engine from a 106 megane and also a k9k722 engine. Is the 106 megane head even the same?

2004 RB182 Cup
dCi 106 is the same head. Block is front starter TL4 6 speed box same as a 197/200 but with different ratios

Thought I'd read somewhere the 106 had bigger valves that's why I was asking. The starter is on the front of this k9k800 engine too.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I have a k9k head here off the 61 reg Kangoo ive just bought. The bottom end went, but head might be ok, from looking did not notice any bent valves. Its going cheap if you fancy pulling yours to bits to see if its salvageable?

Intercooler as stock too.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Careful, some later k9s front starters are cable shift boxes but 6 speed will not fit as Bolt holes don’t line up.

kangoos are a right mash up of all versions from what I’ve worked on.

as for heads; depending what type EGR unit is bolted to it ; they’re differ ever so slightly from euro 3/4 , euro 5 and early 6s are defiantly incompatable

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
, could get away with a k9k722, , would just need bare block and head , swap your ancillaries over to it, pump and injectors ect.

All dependant what spec engine yours is ; a picture of the engine will help. Will know what fuel system it’s on ect

Last edited:
  2004 RB182 Cup
, could get away with a k9k722, , would just need bare block and head , swap your ancillaries over to it, pump and injectors ect.

All dependant what spec engine yours is ; a picture of the engine will help. Will know what fuel system it’s on ect
Cheers for this, mine is cable shift. I seen them when I was looking under the bonnet earlier! I will get a picture when I'm next up working at it. I haven't got it at home unfortunately.

2004 RB182 Cup
Quick update, head is off. No damage to pistons so only replacing the head which is good news. Regarding cylinder head bolts, renew or will they be ok?

2004 RB182 Cup
If anyone else runs into the same issue, just buy a head with the same engine code. I tried two different heads and both had minor differences. The 106 head from a megane is a different pump so my pump wont fit to the head, as it hasn't got a recess to allow it in. Then, I tried an 86 head which was the same pump but different inlet. This meant the ancillaries that bolt on there wouldn't work. I'm heading to a breaker miles away now to just get a k9k800 head.

2004 RB182 Cup
It was £100 complete with all bits and pieces apart from injectors. Mine are fine anyway. Probably expensive but we aren't spoiled for choice here in NI! I found out what happened the last head. The belt didn't break. Someone had poured about 5 m6 bolts into the oil cap. One had wedged between the cam lobe and lifter. Mess.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It was £100 complete with all bits and pieces apart from injectors. Mine are fine anyway. Probably expensive but we aren't spoiled for choice here in NI! I found out what happened the last head. The belt didn't break. Someone had poured about 5 m6 bolts into the oil cap. One had wedged between the cam lobe and lifter. Mess.
Nice

At least your injectors are alright so you can re-use them and not have to mess about. Just make sure they go in the same hole they came from

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone else runs into the same issue, just buy a head with the same engine code. I tried two different heads and both had minor differences. The 106 head from a megane is a different pump so my pump wont fit to the head, as it hasn't got a recess to allow it in. Then, I tried an 86 head which was the same pump but different inlet. This meant the ancillaries that bolt on there wouldn't work. I'm heading to a breaker miles away now to just get a k9k800 head.

Remember this ;-) ...

2004 RB182 Cup
Small update, all parts fitted eventually.... however it won't start without easy start. Once running it's fine. there is no dash lights etc when turning the key either. Could this be linked?

2004 RB182 Cup
Apologies it only runs with easy start. Once the easy start is took away it cuts out straight away. Which leads me to believe it is not getting fuel? Possibly immobiliser which would tie in with the dash not lighting up? I'm thinking down the lines of UCH?