ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep the same car or get a new one?

Mk2 Ph1 172 Replica
I have a 1.2 8V Clio Grande (MK2 PH1) in Monaco blue

and I'm wondering if I should get the MK2 PH2?
-If so, what colour should i get it in?

What do you guys think??
Any Comments Helpful

Regards

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Keep hold mate, insurance is going to be silly until you've got at least 2 years NCB under your belt.

However, if you can add someone of much more experience to your policy, as a second driver, that will bring your insurance down lots. So anyone like your Mum, Dad or even your 28 year old girlfriend ;). Crazy really, as you are still the main driver on the policy so it's all legit, even if all they do is move the car off the driveway!

05 clio dynamique
Keep hold mate, insurance is going to be silly until you've got at least 2 years NCB under your belt.

However, if you can add someone of much more experience to your policy, as a second driver, that will bring your insurance down lots. So anyone like your Mum, Dad or even your 28 year old girlfriend ;). Crazy really, as you are still the main driver on the policy so it's all legit, even if all they do is move the car off the driveway!

I agree with him mate. I went with quinn 10 months before I passed my test and was insured on provisional, stayed with them for another 2 months and got 1 years no claims (thanks to their provisional policy rules :D )
When it came up for my 2nd year of insurance with them it was £1800 a year with my mum as a named driver.

Now, i'm 19 and I have 2 years no claims, It's only costing me £695 a year through aviva with my mum as named driver. Hold onto it till next summer and then get something nice and shiny :)!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I agree with him mate. I went with quinn 10 months before I passed my test and was insured on provisional, stayed with them for another 2 months and got 1 years no claims (thanks to their provisional policy rules :D )
When it came up for my 2nd year of insurance with them it was £1800 a year with my mum as a named driver.

Now, i'm 19 and I have 2 years no claims, It's only costing me £695 a year through aviva with my mum as named driver. Hold onto it till next summer and then get something nice and shiny :)!

Your Mum as the main driver? Isn't that called fronting? IE, illegal ?

05 clio dynamique
Your Mum as the main driver? Isn't that called fronting? IE, illegal ?

I'm sure that only says 'named driver' so surely that's legal? Or have I missed something...?

Thought so :)

:) Messing about with main and named drivers is too risky. When applying for insurance it's always better to be honest, even with stuff like coilovers or wheels.. simply because if you crash or do someone else damage you'll be made to pay for it if you void it.

keep your ph1 mate, few years time, get a 172 or something :)

Mk2 Ph1 172 Replica
thanks for all your help, i already have my mum as the main driver (is that illegal?)
and she doesn't even use the car
and i'm paying £114 per month has she has lots of NCB.

:) Messing about with main and named drivers is too risky. When applying for insurance it's always better to be honest, even with stuff like coilovers or wheels.. simply because if you crash or do someone else damage you'll be made to pay for it if you void it.

keep your ph1 mate, few years time, get a 172 or something :)

Wrong!

I believe insurers are still legally obliged to provide TPFT cover, so essentially it would cover the other party but you would get diddly squat!

05 clio dynamique
thanks for all your help, i already have my mum as the main driver (is that illegal?)
and she doesn't even use the car
and i'm paying £114 per month has she has lots of NCB.

Yeah it's illegal. It's much better to take it out in your name then you get your own NCD aswell. Some insurers give it you as named, but not everyone accepts it.

Wrong!

I believe insurers are still legally obliged to provide TPFT cover, so essentially it would cover the other party but you would get diddly squat!

Is that so? I was under the impression that if you voided the insurance you had to pay whatever the compensation claim was yourself due to having screwed the company over by lying. Say if you hit a child (bad example but..) and your company was forced to pay out £200,000 compensation to the family due to you not being correctly covered.. I'm pretty sure they'd make YOU pay for it, not themselves? And there's no way you'd ever get insured again :p Sorry for going off topic