ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kevlar brake pads

I bought two sets of Kevlar brake pads off K Tec and had them fitted on thursday, they squeek loudly!!!! it sounds as if Im down to the disks!

Is this normal for new Kevlars? :confused:

Audi S3 225

You need to get some copper grease from halfords, and put loads on the back on the pads, I had this problem, sorted as soon as i greased it up.

Mine squeal. (fitted on Friday)

Any ideas how long i should let them bed in for before i start givenn them some stick.

Seems like theyve got some nice bit to them.

[Edited by wackojacko on 5/15/2004 11:11:15 PM]

Oh yeah and i put loads of copper grease on mine

Quote: Originally posted by wackojacko on 15 May 2004

Mine squeal. (fitted on Friday)

Any ideas how long i should let them bed in for before i start givenn them some stick.

Seems like theyve got some nice bit to them.
They should be bedded in my getting the pads warm and slowing down from ~60 to 5mph (dont stop ) a few time. Stopping at lights lets the hot pads melt to the disks giving the impresion when they have cooled of being warped.

Ive got Performance Friction CarbonMetaliic pads on my 172 and they squeal...copper grease wont solve it, its a trait of these type of pads!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Hmm, I was gonna order the Kevlar pads but having 2nd thoughts now.. I dont want a squealing car :(

What other option (other than the Renault ones) do I have, who has tried them and what do you think of them ? did other people pay £120 or whatever for the Renault ones ?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Try the Tar-ox fast road pads (we get a discount). Ive found them to be hard wearing and very fade-resistant on trackdays. No squealing either. About £50 delivered (which is expensive, but hey).

[Edited by telford_mike on 17 May 2004 at 11:44am]

Pah, whats the problem with a little squealing when they dramatically improve the braking?! Besides, most of the time you cant hear it above the engine note etc. - its only in traffic that its apparant...

ST

They squeek because theres copper and all sorts of crap metal that makes up the pad, but once there heated up they sould be fine!

I got black diamond fast road cross drilled n groved discs n black diamond pads fast road pads fitted a few months back, they used to squeek really bad till theyd bedded in, after that they were fine, plus my car is only a 1.2 16v so itll prob take a little longer for em to bed in on mine as is it would on the likes of a valver,172 etc.

So does this mean that Im stuck with the squealing? Its so loud Im embarrassed to brake :oops:

Does copper grease really work? I was kinda hoping that theyd stop once worn in coz I cant put up with the noise, if there not gonna stop squealing then that’s £70 wasted, I got front and back.

K- Tec said thered be no problems with em, very disapionted :(

Quote: Originally posted by 16vClio on 17 May 2004

How long you had em on the car? Give it a couple of weeks, if not get back on to k-tec?
Ive only had them on since Thursday so it could be the newness I hope so.

Skoda Fabia vRS

they get better once there bedded in and its not that bad

ive got EBC Green Stuff on mine which dont seem to squeel at all and give off almost NO brake dust, and are one of the best pads ive used......

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/http://www.performancebrakes.co.uk

try there for good prices on EBC pads, and on some are half the price of K-Tec

by the way the K-Tec Kevlar pads are simply EBC regular black pads

[Edited by BRUN on 17 May 2004 at 6:31pm]

Try sticking anti-squeal material to the back of the pads, I use high temperature gasket(not the cork type). The pistons will make an impression in the material and be held more securely and this usually reduces the noise.