ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Key fob-alarm help

my mums lost the keys for her car. Its a new corsa. Shes lost the actual key and the extra keyfob she used for the alarm.

Whats the best way to go about replacing these. a new key from vauxhall is going to cost £80. can we just make a copy of the key weve got and then buy an alarm keyfob? Someone has told me i might have to take our key that works and hide it in the car for the copied key to work, is this true?

Thanks for any help.

If anyone knows how much those keyfobs from toad are that would be appreciated too

Quote: Originally posted by 1.6 16v on 24 April 2003

Someone has told me i might have to take our key that works and hide it in the car for the copied key to work, is this true?

If your car has a proximity activated imobiliser like my 172 then a copy key wont work. The car is looking for the transponder in the key, if you hide the key in the car thus permanently fooling the transponder you wont have an imobiliser BAD IDEA!

To be honest I think you best bet is to get the new keys from Renault, any other option apart from putting a brand new alarm in will compromise your security

MB

Clio 200 FF

you mean new keys from vauxhall dont you Matt ;)

yep Matts right youll need a key with an imobiliser chip in it (people sell them on ebay), youll then need to get it reprogrammed to your car with a testbook (computer) at the dealers