ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Key programming

182 FF
I needed a spare key for the car so I bought a fob from fleebay and also a set of programming instructions, will this be safe to try, it won't buggerthe car or keys up if I do it wrong?

Any advice please

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Your wasting your time mate

For a start Renault plip keys have to be brand new - you cannot re-programme a 2nd hand plip so it operates the central locking and immobiliser on another car.

Judging from your Avatar im assuming your car is a mk1 172 ?? if that the case you have to order a plip from Renault using your reg and chassis number. The order is then sent to the factory in France and will take 3 - 4 working days to process. The part number for a plip key for your specific model is 7701046796 £76.41 + vat.

Once a key has been ordered it will then need to be coded into your car ( for security purposes ) this can cost anything from £30 - £70 + vat depending were you take it. The machine used to programme plip keys in is called a "clip" diagnostic system.

If you attempt to programme the other key to your car, it may f**k your ECU on the car and cost you a fortune to sort out - i would leave it well alone mate

Last edited:
  182 FF
^^^sounds dear too, I only have one fob though, the little lad lost the other, and knowing my luck it'll come to bite me back on the arse if i don't buy one