ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Key Won’t Work - Advice

My key will not allow me to start my car :(

Now, I have just come back from the local Renault dealer who diagnosed that it simply required a new battery.
So they gave me a free battery and sent me on my way smiling :eek:

Tried to start my car... no luck :mad:
Went back in and they said I would need a new key.

Now, I know people on this forum who have had the same problem and it was resolved by simply recoding.

Is this correct or how much do you reckon a new key is gonna set me back?

Car is no longer under warranty surprise surprise!

133/225/CLS AMG

I had to have a new key on my last car and from what I recall it was supposed to be about £90.

I moaned as it was under warranty, the then guy asked me how many miles the car had done!! haha I was surprised as I didnt think the number of miles the car did affected the spare key that had stopped working.

Mike172sport does it IIRC

Im just annoyed with Olympian Renault to be honest

They fobbed me off and told me I needed a new key without even trying.

Would not be the first time they have tried to rob me either :mad:

[edit] I can open/close doors etc fine with the key, it just wont let the engine start - the imobiliser does its job.

133/225/CLS AMG

I dont know how much to simply re-program the key.

When mine broke it was the actual button that physically stopped pressing properly so had to be replaced.

Sorry mate, not much help.

Takes 0.6 hrs to do I think according to Renault they need to plug their computers into the car to authorise the new keys.

Does the key not work in the ignition? If its just the central locking you can reset it yourself so it will work but if its the ignition then youll need Renault.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Yeah it works the doors and sometimes starts the engine but not realibly. So can Mike help or will reno only charge for .6 hours labour? How much roughly?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Yeah sorry Day, stealing your topic!! NA mines been dodgy for a while but kept it as a spare cos of lack of cash! Looks like another common reno thing!

Quote: Originally posted by EvilJohn on 23 November 2004

Yeah it works the doors and sometimes starts the engine but not realibly. So can Mike help or will reno only charge for .6 hours labour? How much roughly?
I think its 0.6 hrs work they cliam but delearship prices differe mine charhe something like £80/hr. Sort of explains why they do nothing extra when its in for a service.

Not sure why it only sometimes works. Try stripping it down and checking for loose connections Clio remotes are terriable for loose connections.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

May as well i suppose, nothing to lose!

OT-Edde Was just deleting PMs like Jas asked and found one from you asking for a number off the plate. Which one is it you need for the dialogys?

Volvo S60 T5

If the central locking works fine with the key, then it will have to goto renault.

Could be more than a key anyway as sometimes the decoder rings fail.

My place charge 0.4hr to re-sync a key

(29.61 with cliosport discount inc. VAT)

Sorry bout that im new to all this!! Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with key had to get car towed to renault garage! They said i needed the keys recoded which only takes a few minutes by all accounts. Machine wouldnt work so the guy gave me a tip when this happens...disconnect the battery in the car, reconnect then take both keys (if you have a spare) and press both about 6/7 times to make sure they are working!! He did this in front of me and it worked and he only charged me £12 so maybe you could give this a try!!

I had the same problem, Renault diagnosed it after half hour as a faulty key. They tried to charge me £30 for diagnosing it, then £70 for a new key, and £30 for programming the new key.

Told them to shove it, didnt pay anything, went to a local key place and got a new chip for £15 - you need ur spare key to copy though.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

This is quite a common fault on most renaults - the key is known as the "plip" key and are renown for losing there code - sometimes if you drop the key, or keep it next to a high power radio / infa red electrical device ie. mobile phone, radio or TV it can sometimes interfere with the keys sender module causing the memory to blank out ( loosing the code ). DAY 172 judging off your picture im assuming yours is a MK1 172 - the plip key number is 7701046796 but take 3 - 5 days to order from france, these retail at £73.15 + vat and the labour rate to reprogramme one is 0.6hrs ( about £35 + vat ). If you take your car to your main dealer they may be able to re-programme the key at a cost of £35 + vat. These are the only options available. If its a newer type clio ie MK2 172 the "plip" number is 8200067907 £21.69 + vat and renault dealers keep these in stock. A main dealer can programme these thereselves - same again 0.6 ( £35 + vat )