ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Killed VTR

Good comment Eric.

The 205 GTi 1.9/5 GT Turbo/VTS/Clio 16v/172/Williams/106 GTi are all pretty close in the real world. Each has their strengths; each their weakness.

The VTR is a nice motor and a good introduction to hot hatches. Its hardly the be-all and end-all of telepathic handling, searing straight line performance and all-round funkiness - but neither is a 1.4/1.6 sported-up Clio.

But Citroen did the reputation of its small hot hatch no favours by kitting out 1.1s and 1.4s with the same body-kit.

One of the guys on this forum - Craggy - has a Williams and has just also bought a brand new VTS. Itll be interesting to see how they compare!

"But Citroen did the reputation of its small hot hatch no favours by kitting out 1.1s and 1.4s with the same body-kit."

I agree Ben, Citroen have watered down the image of the Sporty Saxos by giving low powered cars the same body kit.

But, I guess thats another reason the Saxo is popular, it has a lot of different models that people of all ages can afford without feeling they look stupid or are driving a rubbish car ;). The Westies and Furios may not make you grin like a fool when you press the loud pedal but they do look the part.

And to a youngun ;) thats very important.

I think Renault have gone the other way though, the 172 is very understated which isnt a bad thing but unless people know what theyre looking for they wont realise its something special, (which it is.) I would prefer the 172 if it had flared wheelarches/big spoiler and lary wheels because it doesnt exactly shout "Look at me, Im mean enough to tear your face off!" :D