ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knock Sensor Advise

Ph2 172 Cup
After my last track day the engine/emissions warning light has come on. I was expecting an O2 sensor problem, but when I plug the car into a diagnostic reader it's reporting a knock sensor error. Clearing the error appears to have no effect, on restarting the ignition the error returns immediately.

I need to do a bit more investigation but perhaps people could clarify for me :

1) The engine seems to be running fine, therefore I'm assuming it's OK to drive.

2) From what I have read so far, it seems likely that the knock adjustment (or whatever it's called) is likely to be reading too high, since the engine seems fine in itself, I'm assuming a fault with the sensor itself (electrical fault)?

3) The most likely fix will be a new sensor. Is it possible to clean or 'fiddle' with this sensor in the hope of getting it working again, or can it only be working or bust?

4) Is there anything else this error could be related to? i.e. something non-obvious?

Thanks!

172 with k-tec sound
After my last track day the engine/emissions warning light has come on. I was expecting an O2 sensor problem, but when I plug the car into a diagnostic reader it's reporting a knock sensor error. Clearing the error appears to have no effect, on restarting the ignition the error returns immediately.

I need to do a bit more investigation but perhaps people could clarify for me :

1) The engine seems to be running fine, therefore I'm assuming it's OK to drive.

2) From what I have read so far, it seems likely that the knock adjustment (or whatever it's called) is likely to be reading too high, since the engine seems fine in itself, I'm assuming a fault with the sensor itself (electrical fault)?

3) The most likely fix will be a new sensor. Is it possible to clean or 'fiddle' with this sensor in the hope of getting it working again, or can it only be working or bust?

4) Is there anything else this error could be related to? i.e. something non-obvious?

Thanks!
hi mate i had same prob same light came on put mine on a diagnostic came back as knock sensor was told id be ok to drive it round but when mine went on diagnostic it cleared the fault so light whent out for a couple of weeks came back on then went off again on its own if it comes on again tho i will be looking into it hope you get yours sorted

a thirsty one
ditto, was on a rr at the weekend and the operator said my peak wasnt quite what he expected based on the rest of the graph, afr was spot on and drives fine but he thinks the knock sensor could be picking up something or on way out. as a coincidence orange emissions light came on the way home. going to look at a new knock sensor.

is it just a sensor which bolts in/out ? if so where is it? thanks

Focus ST170
Did any of you fella's find that this caused a misfire at around 3k revs at all?
Just wondering, as have similar problem..

J