ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knock sensor

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,
Just been routing around under the bonnet of my 182. Noticed that the knock sensor has what looks like a broken wire. However it looks like there are only 2 pins to the sensor? So the 3rd wire looks redundant? So why is it there? Any help, or shall I order a new sensor/wiring

Attachments

• F18CD624-6BD2-4DB4-88D3-5A9A37AF32B6.jpeg
    F18CD624-6BD2-4DB4-88D3-5A9A37AF32B6.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 764

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I cant answer your question but my knock sensor plug is in a sorry state and barely connecting to the sensor. I'm not sure the purpose of the sensor but doesnt seem to affect running.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I’ll get a better photo shortly, not sure I under stand what you mean by ‘shielding’ unless you mean a cable cover/outter. it looks like it a broken wire, but guess it could be some form of covering?

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
The injection computer inputs and outputs list the wiring as being

19 Knock Sensor Shielding
20 Knock Sensor Signal Input
79 Knock Sensor Earth

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
I think it might be the shielding wire used to protect the signal input wire from electrical interference. it shouldn't be connected to anything connector side, but should be grounded on the opposite side.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,
Just been routing around under the bonnet of my 182. Noticed that the knock sensor has what looks like a broken wire. However it looks like there are only 2 pins to the sensor? So the 3rd wire looks redundant? So why is it there? Any help, or shall I order a new sensor/wiring

The 182 and non Cup Ph2 172 share the same engine loom, part number 7701059002, and the red wire from the knock sensor goes to

pin 12 of the ECU, and the white wire to pin 72.

100% checked and proven.

There is a pin out table in this thread.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
The 182 and non Cup Ph2 172 share the same engine loom, part number 7701059002, and the red wire from the knock sensor goes to

pin 12 of the ECU, and the white wire to pin 72.

100% checked and proven.

There is a pin out table in this thread.

Do you know what the workshop manual represents, is it the mk2 ph1?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So - I had a hour or so set aside to replace the knock sensor on my 182. I'd done it before (years ago) and was all calm in setting about it.

What my brain must have forgotten in those intervening years, was to question which whore of Satan arse at Renault, decided to place the sensor directly below where one of the cross-members to the block is located? I mean, give it a few mm access for sockets to get a purchase around the main body of the knock sensor itself. But no, we is French - it's Friday afternoon and we haz fromage and du vin to get to.

Stupid, stupid lazy arse design. More so because I've got nothing to hand that can get that sensor off. So I either buy some fancy goose-necked spanner to access it - or get a good 30min labour charge at a garage to do it for me, just because some design engineer decided to have a frontal lobotomy with common sense - all those years ago.

s**t happens and I normally calm down quickly when things go wrong. But I simply cannot abide poor design - I mean just look at the below. Space EVERYWHERE to keep the two components apart and yet still they butt them together like this.

Utter wankmops....

1661948620519.png