ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knock when cornering right under full throttle

Renaultsport Clio 172
Ok guys, I have this situation with my 172, when cornering right and giving it full beans (specially in 2ng gear) I get a knocking noise very similar to that when a mount is gone.

I have read here it may be shaft related and have checked it doesn't do any type of noises when moving at full lock, and no, it doesn't. Also checked and if I do fasty start or make a U turn quickly to either side it doesn't do any noise unless I am agressive, it is just when the engines starts to give its power, lets say cornering at full throtle to the right, engine gets to 5000 and the knocking starts, it goes if I back off the gas pedal. The mounts are not new by any means but they don't seem to play much TBH. Also noticed that if I go full throtle in 1st and even second in a straight line it knocks slightly also, but a lot less than when cornering. Finally, I can go as fast as I can thru a bend without noises at all if I do it smoothly, it seems to start when giving it full gas only.

Any one has an idea what it could be?

Top mounts are relatively new and it doesn't knock on bumby roads

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Not to sure on the knocking noise,but you ought to calm down with your driving by the sounds of it.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Not to sure on the knocking noise,but you ought to calm down with your driving by the sounds of it.

On a track?!?!??!?!??!:S:S:S:S This was where I first noticed, then started to try and replicate it, that is where my comments come from, as far as I can tell it didn't do it ever before, and at 2400 meters above sea level it is down 25% on power, so it defenitely should cope with no hassle at all.

Artic Blue 182 FF
I say Ball joints.. seeing as its a 12quid part.. no harm in changing it before you pull apart drive shafts. Recently did mine due to an epic amount of noise from the front under braking.. accelerating, cornering, and bumps.. yer.. its was pretty bad.

182cup & 172 racecar
On a track?!?!??!?!??!:S:S:S:S This was where I first noticed, then started to try and replicate it, that is where my comments come from, as far as I can tell it didn't do it ever before, and at 2400 meters above sea level it is down 25% on power, so it defenitely should cope with no hassle at all.

Ah yes,but you didn't say that to begin with did you.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Thanks for the comments, will check ball joints and the driveshafts. A mechanich said it could be engine not being centered, possible? or just talking crap!!!