ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking at low speeds

PH2 172
Hi,

I seem to have developed some sort of knocking noise over the weekend, although I've only noticed it this morning as I've been in slowish (<35) traffic on my way into work.

Basically, when moving there is a quiet but audible knocking noise. I think it's coming from the front of the car. It's not constant, but is frequent. It seems to disappear when I pick up a little bit of speed, but that could just be because there's more engine and exhaust noise.

Also it appears to be worse/more apparent when accelerating or slowing down - so I could definatly notice it when moving in traffic this morning.

Also, something that could be completely unrelated but I've never heard it before - is a liquid 'sloshing' noise when moving from or coming to a stand still quick-ish. I presume it's the fuel in the tank? Not heard this before though.

Any ideas? Engine mounts maybe?

2004 Clio 1.6 Dynamique
Anti roll bar drop links? Mine was making a knocking nosie but as soon as i got on motor way it stoped. The sloshing noise probably is your petrol tank but as your listening out for noises as you have the knocking noise you will notice other noises too!

PH2 172
Anti roll bar drop links? Mine was making a knocking nosie but as soon as i got on motor way it stoped. The sloshing noise probably is your petrol tank but as your listening out for noises as you have the knocking noise you will notice other noises too!

The sloshing yeah, I've probably just never noticed it before.

Can I check the arb droplinks myself without taking too much apart?

PH2 172
Had a good listen on the way home, when sat at a constant speed (30 for instance) I can hear a constant knocking - almost a rubbing noise. But I can hear the same noise when starting off and slowing down until I get over ~35 when I can't hear it. It seems to be coming from drivers side, at the front.

Any advances? :p

2004 Clio 1.6 Dynamique
Yea there quite easy to check without using anytools. Just look where the antiroll bar meets the front wishbone. Its just below the knucle. There should be a torx bolt that goes throught it to a nut underneath. If they both are on ethier side and look ok it maybe worth giving them a pull because the bolt (as mine did) sheared off in the middle and it looked fine.