ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking/Creaking Noise From Suspension?

RSTuner'd 182FF
I had my car lowered about 4 weeks ago (On Sportlines) and i noticed a knocking/creaking noise coming from the front. I thought it was just the springs settling in but it seems to have got worse! Its not doing it just on full lock its everytime im moving slow and turning left or right. Any one know what this may be?

Andy.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Mine is standard and it does the same thing. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow so if they find a cause I'll try to remember to come back to this thread and let you know.

53' 172 Cup
I had my car lowered about 4 weeks ago (On Sportlines) and i noticed a knocking/creaking noise coming from the front. I thought it was just the springs settling in but it seems to have got worse! Its not doing it just on full lock its everytime im moving slow and turning left or right. Any one know what this may be?

Andy.

This sounds similar to my problem.i have sportlines also. does it click when you turn the wheel when manoevring also?? i thort it was that the spring was not seated properly but iv checked and it looks fine. going to try these top strut washers which u can get from yozzasport or hav made up but if that doesnt work (which im betting on) then i am well and truly stumped! Surely it wouldnt be the actual dampers going?? iv only done 44k miles on a 53 plate car!

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
If it is creaking when starting off at low speeds and turning slightly at low speeds, it will be you lower suspenion arm bushes.

Easier just to replace the arm, it's under £70 from Renault.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Try greasing you front anti roll bar bushes where they join the radius arm or swop em they only cheap that cured mine :D

I started getting the front creaking about 2-3 months ago in my 182

Exactly as you say, starting off at low speeds and also a bit when coming to a halt at low speeds - bit annoying, guys at kwikfit didn't know what it was

Sounds like what you have said here

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mine was just like the noise you have. I swopped the front roll bar bushes and now its fine, it was drivin me NUTS :mad: !! Try it mate, cured mine they only bout £12 the pair from dealer.

RSTuner'd 182FF
Cheers for your replies. Im gonna ring the garage up tomorrow where i had my springs fitted and get them to have a look at it. Ill tell them about the bushes and if need be ill order them myself. I wanna get this sorted asap cos its really annoying.

Andy.

Bumder With A Buffer
When mine was under warranty still, it was in the dealers 4 times for the same problem. They carried out some kind of modification to it (il find the document someware later) Still bloody does it though! Ive got used to it but am going to check it out myself soon.

Almost sounds like something was loose???

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
It seems to be a common thing.

I'd still try replaicng the lower suspension arm, if you pinpoint which side.

Most seem to be the nearside.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
also got this....

mines nearside....lol

will be looking into bushes as will be dropping mine on coilovers soon

common fault or what?????.....lol

RSTuner'd 182FF
lol at the maintenance. My car has just clocked 20k miles and has FRSH. Mine seems to be coming from the front near side. The garage that it was lowered at is looking at it tomorrow for me. Ive still got warranty left but i dont really wanna take it to Renault cos its not on standard springs....and you'll guess what there answer will be!:eek: lol

Bumder With A Buffer
Yeah. Mine "seemed" to be coming from the front near side... though i have blocked the noise out now and got used to it so much i dont notice it!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i have left it a little while.......will look into ordering bushings then

so what we saying anti roll bar bushings or lower suspension arm bushings?

RSTuner'd 182FF
i have left it a little while.......will look into ordering bushings then

so what we saying anti roll bar bushings or lower suspension arm bushings?

^^Yeah i would like to know this too. If the garage im taking my car back to doesnt know ill have to take a trip to Renault to order some replacements. One of the above or even both? lol

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
front antiroll bar bushes where they join the radius arm . fit on the ends of the roll bar.

RSTuner'd 182FF
Nice one. Anyone know the part number? Or should i just go into Renault parts and ask for some anti roll bar bushes. Saying that i could well be there all day trying to explain what i want!:S

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Dunno what the part number is but there are four bushes on the front roll bar you want the two that fit on the ends of it the outer two they fit over the ends of the roll bar where it joins the arm like a cup . you can see them where they join the radius arm mine is a 172 ff dunno if 182 wiv cup packs would be the same part number. dunno if this defo cure it but it did mine took me ages to suss it out . you can always try takin em out and greasing em first and see if that cures it . let me know if it works.:approve:

Astra Sxi
Iv got this problem, iv only had it since my car has been lowered. its like a binging noise when i put my car to full lock. also noticed if i dont let the other side make the noice my steering wheel is on the piss! does anyone get that?

RSTuner'd 182FF
Well ive got my car back from the garage and its seems to be fine now:) . They said they just greased everything up again.

However they did say that it might come back so it might be worth while buying some new bushes, so i think ill take a trip to Renault tomorrow and pick some up.

Clio MK 4
your cv boot or what ever it called may have uncliped which causes grit to get inbetween and make the noise. this happened to me and now costing 330 quid to fix as we speak as its bent something aswell.

RSTuner'd 182FF
I can't believe it, the noise is back!:mad: I reversed off my drive this morning and thought i heard a noise then when i pulled off and straightened the wheels the front nearside spring seemed to "ping". Now the noise is back again. I guess im gonna have to take it to Renault for them to sort out.

RSTuner'd 182FF
No mate i never changed them. Thats why im gonna take it to Renault. All seemed to be fine after the garage greased everything up. Thinking about it i might be better off buying the bushes from Renault and have them fitted somewhere else, might save me a few £'s.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mine had worn out and split. noise on mine was roll bar contacting on radius arm and cos they dry out that is the creaking noise . put your ear by the wheel arch and get someone to push down on the wing you should hear the noise .

RSTuner'd 182FF
Mine had worn out and split. noise on mine was roll bar contacting on radius arm and cos they dry out that is the creaking noise . put your ear by the wheel arch and get someone to push down on the wing you should hear the noise .

Cheers, ill try that in a bit. When i took it back to the garage for them to check everything over, they greased everything up and told me the bushes etc were all fine. Think im still gonna change them and hope for the best.

Andy.

Megane 230 R26
Sounds like bottom ball joint, that's what mine was. It was knocking on bumps while doing anything up to about 25-30mph, and creaking whilst steering at slower speeds. The garage looked at me funny when I said I reckon it's the bottom ball joint, then rang me a few hours later to say it was the bottom ball joint, and they'd replaced the bottom arm :D

Tbh I'd expect given the fault description that you might well hear creaking when doing that, but it doesn't really pinpoint any particular cause out of the few possibilities...

182 trackday racer
My car have only been on the road for about 500km since I fitted with Powerflex bushes for lower arms (bush rings welded) + full antirollbar kit as well as Bilstein Coilover kit. All been greased propperly with copperpaste prior to fitting.

And it "clonks" almost like its from the springs when I turn the steering wheel a lot, it did the same before fitting these items but not as loud. I have tried with the strut washers recomended by Fred for this problem. It reduced the problem while om stock springs but did not effect it at all on coilovers.

So basicaly dont think either the bushing- or grease up-theory is a solution.

/m

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
need to get this sorted now, fitting coilovers in the very near future so may aswell do it at the same point..

so are we any closer to knowing the exact problem

53 Clio's & counting
well mine makes a knock noise when i turn at slow speeds and thats my top mounts as i fitted new ones and it went away for about a week lol