ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking noise from front ns wheel...

ibiza cupra
...or that area anyway. ive only noticed it when i go round islands and can feel it through the pedals, it also gets louder the faster i am going too. cant feel it on the straits or turning left. any ideas what it could be. ive had the wheel off and nothing looks suspicious and the cv boot is still on and hasnt fallen off but not sure if that matters. i did do a search but there are hundreds of threads on knocking noises from wheels lol and i dont have the time to look through them all.
im going to see if it makes a difference if i depress the clutch when going round an island as that may help diagnose the problem so i will return with an answer to that.

cheers​

clio trophy No56
Ball joints, mine went at about 60k, completely shot. Think you can get the ball joints for £15 each or £50 each for the whole suspension arm, i went for the whole lot. Really easy job to do. It cured my knocking problem, not saying that is you issue though, worth a look though.
If you check them take the weight off the car, i looked at mine whilst the car was sitting on the floor and they looked / felt fine.

are the ball joints the track rod ends?

No, the ball joints are the joints which connect the hub assembly to the wishbone.

The track rod ends are connected to the tie-rods which are in turn connected to the steering rack.

If you think its suspention related you could swap the front end round and see if the knocking goes to the otherside.

ibiza cupra
No, the ball joints are the joints which connect the hub assembly to the wishbone.

The track rod ends are connected to the tie-rods which are in turn connected to the steering rack.
ahh i see. do i need any special yools for it or anything ?

ibiza cupra
cheers bud. my mate had a quick look today and said that it doesnt look like there is anything rong with the ball joint but pointed out that my tyre was quite low and that the tyre wall may be giving way whe under the extra pressure so i put some more air in it but it is still doing it so that hasnt solved it either. looks like i may need to start taking things apart:(

ibiza cupra
it does seem to go away when i hold the clutch in but not sure if thats just because the speed slows down or what. i have got them washer things in under the top mounts so that shouldnt be the cause or do you think it could just be that they are knackard and i need new ones?

ibiza cupra
wouldnt it make a noise regardless of direction if it was the anti roll bar though? that was my thinking.