ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking noise im really stumped now!!!

clio 172 mk2
hey guys im totally lost right now
i read all the threads on the possible causes of the knocking noise under hard acceleration mainly in 1st 2nd and 3rd some people said it was the top mount the gearbox mount the dog bone one....well i changed all and IM STILL getting the knocking noise under hard acceleration its really turning me off right now i evre pulled the engine as far forward as i cud does neone know if there are any other mounts, or if the fact that i have the poly dog bone mount from k tec is causing this weird problem.....

to make matter worse upon giving her some tonite everytime i changed gears at 6600 rpm i get a crunch from the gearbox like if the gears are grinding without me even putting the car out of gear into neutral any thoughts on this one and finally upon taking a sharp left turn the steering wheel starts to shudder and vibrate badly outside and in the car any thoughts again.........

is this normal as the car is 6 yrs old any light or advice form the gurus on here would be great as im really reaching the end of my stick after nearly 2 months of it and trying to DIY to sort it out please help any
thanks

clio 172 mk2
would take a look at that also however i have the mk2 172 not the mk1 but still will check it out to see if nething there is wrong

53 Clio's & counting
there is a rubber mount under the gearbox that bolts to the subframe,im fitting this on mine 2moz morning hopefully this will fix my problem,same as urs

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
gearbox mount under battery, exhaust striking underneath or just good old fashioned axle tramp

clio 172 mk2
thanks guys i know it cud be either of those mounts but i just changed all mounts just 3 weeks ago so i know it aint that....i was concerned that the engine probably got shifted to far back but i gonna try to pull it forward and torque the mounts accordingly however.....on a drive yesterday i kinda examined and thought that it might be my axle giving up supposed to go and see if there is any free play in it it might just be this that is causing this massive irritation........however what is the cost of a new axle on the left hand side closest to the left front wheel?

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
i had this noise.. got a new g/box n clutch fitted then wen a got the car back it was gone..

so replace ur's lol

clio 172 mk2
thats also a possibility its the clutch problem is this country aint particularily clio friendly to get parts here is a b**ch im quaking to see the cost to purchase one and ship it if thats the case :'(

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
thats also a possibility its the clutch problem is this country aint particularily clio friendly to get parts here is a b**ch im quaking to see the cost to purchase one and ship it if thats the case :'(
i paid reno £160 4 mine they fitted it n charged the warranty company 4 the labour

clio 172 mk2
well 160 doesnt sound so bad just the duty and shipping will kill me and i will pretty much have to find some one to help me install cause the reno dealership down here has closed off and the workforce isnt to good with the cars...lack of training....so i hope its not the box and just the axle tramp but going monday to verify

LY 182
i've had a similar thing happen to a dual mass flywheel - not sure if the 172's use them-but it took me forever to sus what this knock was.
do you get the clonk if you were to put handbrake and foot on the brake, then slowly take up drive in first then reverse?

mk2 1.4
sounds trivial but just check the exhaust is attatched properly to its rubber mounts, mine came out and i had a similar knocking noise under hard acceleration.

clio 172 mk2
i know it cud be a host and array of stuff but i do agree with fred that even if its not the dog bone im gonna go back orginal too much vibration that cant be all that good

clio 172 mk2
ok guys update here i just got my car up on a ramp and i saw that the right and left axle boots are torn....how long this has been i have no idea when i make a hard left turn i get a clunking/shudder in my steering wheels and i get the knocking noise upon acceleration...is it possible that my axles have gone bad? also i think my clutch is shuddering as well since it engages rather harshly and at times makes violent vibrations? could it be a bad clutch so questions are therefore:

1) are there any good uprated clutches and pressure plates and which do you reccommend i use and also which clutch oil and prices please
2) what is the cost of getting two new axles.

reason im asking this is because i called to find out the prices of those three parts and it is costing me 5600 for the axles and 4000 for the clutch and pressure plate all this is in TT which converted to pounds is 960 pounds and that is without vat and labour.....would like to know the cost of these parts up by you guys

reason i can order and ship and may work out cheaper and may be able to get better quality parts such as the clutch and plate....

thanks guys give me a shout

1) are there any good uprated clutches and pressure plates and which do you reccommend i use and also which clutch oil and prices please
2) what is the cost of getting two new axles.

reason im asking this is because i called to find out the prices of those three parts and it is costing me 5600 for the axles and 4000 for the clutch and pressure plate all this is in TT which converted to pounds is 960 pounds and that is without vat and labour.....would like to know the cost of these parts up by you guys

reason i can order and ship and may work out cheaper and may be able to get better quality parts such as the clutch and plate....
new driveshafts both sides are bthe easiest option that will fix the issues.

Forget chnaging the clutch stock is the best IMo for use.

Clutch complete in the Uk is £80

Shafst from Renault are about £130 each side buy you need to send yours backas there refurbished otherwsie other palces will do them for about £150 a side non refurb if you cna find the places.

clio 172 mk2
the drive shafts and axles are not the same i know it might be a silly question but which is which is the driveshafts the "rod:" that the knuckles inside the axle boot spins on? on either side? or sumthing completely different? dont want to purchase the wrong part really :(

My knocking was solved by new suspension arm. I think the arm bushes surrounding metal hit the chassic of the car.

clio 172 mk2
oh thank you yes then i believe its those that need replacing i really do hope this makes this aggressive knocking noise to stop...by the way what is the end effects of how quickly it can go bad mines dont make the noise once i dont give it gas and be gently under abuse will they snap or shatter of the sort?

RS RIP
there is a rubber mount under the gearbox that bolts to the subframe,im fitting this on mine 2moz morning hopefully this will fix my problem,same as urs

iv changed this this morning and has solved mine mate

have you tried this one yet !? Seems like your only interested in spending a lot of cash ?
it's the cheapest option of everything mentioned in this thread :rolleyes:

i know i'll be trying this one when i'll be fitting my new coilies