ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking Noise when wheels spin

RenaultSport clio 182
Any ideas why there is an irritatingly loud banging noise when the wheels spin on my 182? It did the exact same thing on my 172 before this but dealer said they couldnt find what was causing it. I thought it may be engine mounts or something. Any ideas how this prob can be sorted.

BMW M3
Found a couple threads for you mate...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97205&highlight=wheelspin+knocking

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116177&highlight=wheelspin+knocking

I also get the wheelspinning noise but havnt got it fixed yet. They'll prob give me a funny look when i say it makes a noise when wheelspinning lol !! Its only really an issue in the wet. FWD, just over a ton and 182bhp in the wet means 1st gear is pretty tricky when you want a quick getway.

tiTTy & SV650
its normal on all front wheel drives, ive done it on a 60bhp fiesta, a 115bhp 205gti and maybe once in my 182. It's lack of traction and the suspension / driveshaft loading up or something i.e. wheel tramp.

Perfectly normal, go a bit easier on first gear...

RenaultSport clio 182
cheers for that, Yeah, only noticed it the other day on this one, first time it has happened, my 172 was bad for it but never heard it yet on the 182. Mind i was a bit hard on my 172. :evil:

VaVa
It's not acceptable, it's a design fault with the car and needs addressing.

Nick @ Hillpower is currently working towards a cure for it although it's quite a difficult thing to diagnose.

As far as I know all 172/182 variants suffer from it. For the time being you'll have to go easy in first. After a while you'll get a feel for when it's going to happen and can back of the throttle a little bit.

Until Nick finds the cure.

This is the first car I've had that does this. I've had a few that used to bounce a bit when wheelspinning, but none had the horrific banging like the 172. Talk about unintentional mechanical interference!:dead:

tiTTy & SV650
its also a lot to do with mechanical sympathy from the driver, I never get it in the 182, think I've had it once in this car.

106 used to bang when wheelspinning.. assumed it was normal on all fwd cars

just drive it properly instead if you dont like it.

SLK 350
I love comments like "drive it properly..." lol, in certain conditions it has nothing to do with driving properly, sometimes bad road, bad weather, diesel it doesn't matter who is behind the wheel they are likely to have it spinning momentarily.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Engine mounts aren't up to the job. They all do it or will after some abuse.

SLK 350
Indeed i hear new engine mounts (3 of them) using a higher polymer bushing helps to prevent the problem, but not permanently.

Banana
My cup has done it from day 1, I've been told it's the engine banging off the subframe. It is such a horrible noise you think the car is falling apart!!

ant

yep.
never heard it meself.

which is strange as i haven't got traction control so my fronts spin often.

tiTTy & SV650
i think this must be exaggerated in some cars, possibly due to dodgy mounts or something. I honestly dont suffer from it in my 182. so if it happens due to light wheel spinning, I'd be getting it looked at...

If it happens when u floor it in 1st in the wet, well duuuuuuuh

Evo VI Tommi Makinen
Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt the term for what happens something like "Wheel Hop". Where the wheels bounce rather than spin?
I've seen it on big american muscle V8s when they try and take off too quickly.

I may be wrong though
Rob

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
I only get it when the traction control is on and it's trying to stop the wheels from spinnning. Have you turned it off and see if it still does it?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
my mate sorted mine, used an uprated dogbone bush set, (from k-tec) and adjusted the engine mount on the drivers side by pulling the engine as far forward as possible, then re-tightening

job done ;)

when nick at hillpower finds a cure... He'll be a rich man.

Will give the k-tec dogbone bush set a try for the time being.

Silly banging noise is a major let down - i've had some highly tuned minis and they never did it... no matter how much wheelspin i got.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
My MK1 had the same problem, and I went back with it to the garage I bought it.

THe mechanic, which had a lot of Renault experience, told me he relocated the airfilter box, because this was hitting something, when the engine moved. Not a story I immediately believed, because the Knocking was really loud and mechanically. But happily, the sound has completely disappeared since then :D (maybe he alse relocated the mount on top of the gearbox, don't know)