ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking noise

i have been into renault who have replaced an engine mount and machined away bodywork around the top of my suspension strut to try and ridicule a knocking noise i get. Got the car back and its still there!!!

It only happens when taking right hand corners on 3/4 to full lock and only on uneven surfaces. Im convinced it is possibly the exhaust hitting on the bodywork or something like this. if i drive very slowly it doesnt knock only at reasonable speed for a tight corner

When the knocking occurs it is not felt through the pedals or steering wheel so im guessing its not suspension,

Please please anyone with a similar problem or any ideas what it could be because its driving me mad and costing me a small fortune to try and solve.

thanks in advance for any replies

o and i dont know if it makes any difference but when i had some new tyres they re did the tracking and for a few days the knocking noise had gone, but after that it gradually came back, as i said dont know if this would have anything to do with it?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I had a knocking front pass side when pulling off sharpish (172), the top of strut mod cured it for me.
If was FREE as well common problem so im told.

What car you got??

played with clio cup
:D hello
got the same thing on my modded cup,yep its the suspension top bearings
and mounts.just changed mine again after changing the springs,easy job as
you dont need any spring clamps(cup) cost me less than £30 for bearings and
new rubbers(trade).
no banging now exept the base :approve:

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
hi yea i would say top strut mount or there was and Technical note about power steering pipes knocking when on uneven surfaces down know why they carried out the top strut mount mod as this is for knocking in reverse lol.

muckytools was your knocking noise the same thing ie only round conrers on uneven surfaces? also did you carry the work out yourself? if so how easy and what time scale does this take?

hi all. having the same problem with my mk1 172. its only done 40k miles and is really bugging me. mine happens on tight corners at walking pace and on uneven surfaces between 10mph and 30mph eg. a drain cover or small pot hole. but i'll certainly look into it and have renault to take a look at it. thanks guys for your help. nick.