ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking on N/S/R wheel

Clio Sport 172
Hi guys. My 172 mk2 has been stood for a month or two due to financial reasons. I went out today to finally work on it ( New job, Huraaaah!) And it started first time. I drove it down the road because its Mot is out and wanted an idea what im looking at and i hear a loud knocking that wasnt there before i stood it. It seems to be constant and speeds up as the car speeds up and slows down as i slow. Definitely not the exhaust its from the wheel. My guess is the wheel bearing but would this sound right? My handbrake seems to be failing as well but thats a seperate problem. Would anyone agree on the bearing diagnosis? As ill just change the discs out with new bearings already in them. Cheers

182 ff
Hi guys. My 172 mk2 has been stood for a month or two due to financial reasons. I went out today to finally work on it ( New job, Huraaaah!) And it started first time. I drove it down the road because its Mot is out and wanted an idea what im looking at and i hear a loud knocking that wasnt there before i stood it. It seems to be constant and speeds up as the car speeds up and slows down as i slow. Definitely not the exhaust its from the wheel. My guess is the wheel bearing but would this sound right? My handbrake seems to be failing as well but thats a seperate problem. Would anyone agree on the bearing diagnosis? As ill just change the discs out with new bearings already in them. Cheers
jack the wheel up and spin it...feel for any play....if its brake calliper ,you will hear it..not sure about bearing faults.. you can see if its a brake fault..or not ....may just be the brake pad sticking, its been stood a while..have a good drive and use the brakes a lot..

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 172
jack the wheel up and spin it...feel for any play....if its brake calliper ,you will hear it..not sure about bearing faults.. you can see if its a brake fault..or not ....may just be the brake pad sticking, its been stood a while..have a good drive and use the brakes a lot..
Thank i will do when this weather lets me step outside without drowning. I was thinking the caliper might have seized the pads on. Il have a blast and see how it goes. Thanks again

Clio 172 Merc ML55
If its caliper seized on then you'll either struggle to turn the wheel or will at least feel more resistance, a worn bearing will either have 'play' where the wheel will wobble or will sound horrendous when spinning the wheel up, or even both. Another sign of brakes binding would be some discolouration of the brake disc, they tend to go blue when they've overheated