ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking on/off power ponderings

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All,

Finally have the Clio driving again, MOT this week. Took it up the road after having a mini nightmare with front wheel bearings (all good now) and I have a slightly odd knock in low gears coming on/off power (at low speed). I cannot induce it when stationary by lifting the clutch etc.

The car has new engine mounts with the powerflex top insert, new dog bone with powerflex bushes, new gearbox mounts etcetc. Basically its all new. Its raining and I've just about run out of light and will. Intend to go round and check I've torqued everything up tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas?

I can feel the clunk through the brake pedal (its not the ABS, much harder edged). Just fitted a Miltek system so wondering if it could be some part of the exhaust hitting the bulk head, or potentially engine mount. The fact that I can feel it through the pedals makes me think its not drive shaft related, joints are quiet while turning on lock etc.

Any wizards got an idea/had this before? Will give me a good idea on where to start the hunt.

Cheers all

Rob

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I was going to say the same as james! Make sure you check sooner rather than later or you'll oval the holes.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe gearbox battery tray mount too.

Check every bolt if you have time.
Good shout, I suspect its going to come down to that. Engines been out etc. So it could be anything.

Arse.

One of my wishbones started the pull the bracket closed while I was torquing the bolt up, OEM parts but wondering if there is a spacer missing or a defective part, guess the lower arm could be moving forwards/backwards if thats the case. Just odd that I can feel such a thump through the pedals.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye I'd deffo be checking them then 😂

Just give everything a once over mate, sack the torque wrench off and give everything a good lean on with the spanner. So hard to diagnose a clunk without being in the car or driving it

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Good shout, I suspect its going to come down to that. Engines been out etc. So it could be anything.

Arse.

One of my wishbones started the pull the bracket closed while I was torquing the bolt up, OEM parts but wondering if there is a spacer missing or a defective part, guess the lower arm could be moving forwards/backwards if thats the case. Just odd that I can feel such a thump through the pedals.
I dont think you need washers in oem wishbone bushes. You do on powerflex ones.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers all - Yea Kyle know what you mean. I chuffing hate 'Whats this noise' posts haha.

Just needed to have a moan about my clunk. Was so annoyed about wheel bearing issue that I haven't even looked in the direction of the s**t heap for a month, then realised that the MOT ran out last week so need to get on it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Just to close this... because I know you've probably all been awake at night worrying about me.

The left hand engine mount was finger tight... tightened up - clonk has gone.

Sleep well tonight boys
I was literally just about to post saying loosen off the left hand engine mount, pull the engine forward and tighten again!!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I was literally just about to post saying loosen off the left hand engine mount, pull the engine forward and tighten again!!

You would have won the top draw prize. Funny how it felt like the engine was hitting the bulkhead.... when the engine was basically hitting the bulkhead haha. Was a big relief when I finally got to engine mount bolts, they were the last ones I checked naturally 🤦‍♂️