ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking/Rattling/Oil Leak/Bent Strut?

02 Clio 172
Hi all,

So i bought a 2002 clio 172 at the beginning of december. It already had a cliosport.net sticker on the rear window, so i assume one or more of the previous owners was a member here. Its iceberg silver, reg **51EPV so was firstly wondering if anyone knows anything of the cars history. I've been told the car has a bent strut that has leaked fluid on the front near side, split ARB bush on the front, and ive got an oil leak which im told is originating from the rocker cover gasket. Iv also got a horrific sounding buzz/knock/rattle when accelerating around 4000RPM although I am trying my best not to put the engine under too much strain. Together with exhaust rattle around 2500rpm, no instrument LED lights or backlit centre consul since last night (probably fuse but cannot identify which one) and a failed cold start or five yesterday, i am not as happy as i would liked to have been with my purchase ;)

The cambelt has been changed before i bought, however i dont know where it was done or how thoroughly (pulleys, aux belt etc)
I've been quoted £700 just for renault parts to repair the problems. To me this seems raaaather high considering im looking at a £350 labour bill aswell.

If anyone can provide any advice or insight into the issues im having, please do, i would be very thankful. I am concerned the mechanic may not know the engine well enough to properly diagnose and do the work. Could the 4000rpm rattle be related to the bent strut or oil leak? Drivers side upper engine mount has split rubber and there is clear gaps between rubber and metal surround either side. Have not had a chance to check the others, but i thought they might be possibilities considering the exhaust manifold/engine movement problems iv read about. It has popped out of gear on me once or twice under hard acceleration aswel. The cat has something lose in it, as it rattles when i tap on it, however this rattle doesnt sound much like the one i get around 2500rpm i assume it would be a possible cause.

I am not as experienced as i would like to be but can learn fast and not afraid to ge my hands dirty, so im open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Black Sheep
ermm doesnt sound to good so try and a shop around for a better price, when i bought mines the breaks failed and had to fork out £550 two days after my purchase.

RB FF 182
The harsh buzzing / rattling is probably your engine mounts which is a common fault.

I paid £773 for cambelt, aux belt, tensioners, and dephaser pulley.

Never ever go to an independent garage to do the cam belt. Always go to someone who knows what they're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02 Clio 172
Thanks for the replies people. Now the garage has told me it can use £700 worth of renault parts or £400~ of parts from motor factors. i thought that most of the parts required for the work i need doing were renault only. i.e cambelt aux belt pulleys dephaser + front strut being renault only maybe bushes and gaskets could be 3rd party, so i am beginning to get concerned the job wont be done properly. also, found and replaced fuse responsible for instrument leds, worked initially but blew when i turned the engine on (i think. either way it blew). someone please enlighten me! beginning to go mental.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Where are you based?

Lol at 4k putting the engine understrain, still got 3k+ to go!

02 Clio 172
based in hertfordshire. I was worried about top of the engine running dry because of oil leak i thought maybe i would have lower oil pressure? its more of a seep then a leak.
I noticed earlier that 3rd gear tops out around 6.3/4krpm (shift light on) rather than 7 or 7.2. I also noticed that when putting 100% power down the speedo jumps 20-30mph upwards. Anyone shed any light on this? very curious