ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking / SNAP sound when turning steering wheel!

Honda. Tesla Someday
Hello all,

Every so often, when turning my wheel (usually full lock, but not always), there is a SNAP kinda sound. Not sure where its coming from, but it could be coming from behind the steering wheel, or literally the engine bay!

Any ideas what this could be?

Its a 1.5 DCi Clio MK2 PH2 52 plate.

Much appreciated.:dapprove:

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Sounds like a CV joint, check the CV boots and clips.

Take them off remove all the old grease, put new grease it and put new boots and clips on.

Listerine & Poledo
CV & driveshaft, top mounts or ball joints are the usual culprits for this from what I've read over the years on here

It the grease has parted company with your CV joint it may be too late to save it, you may be in line for a replacement driveshaft (DCI owners please correct me here if wrong).

Honda. Tesla Someday
Sorry but I have no idea where to even begin looking :(

What is a driveshaft / CV joint?

I may have to google the hell out of this.

Thank you gents, any more help extremely appreciated!!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Look under the car, there is a rod (driveshaft) going from the engine your your hub (with the disc brake and calipers), at the join there is a boot, this is your cv joint.

audi_vw_cv_joint_live.jpg

Honda. Tesla Someday
Look under the car, there is a rod (driveshaft) going from the engine your your hub (with the disc brake and calipers), at the join there is a boot, this is your cv joint.

audi_vw_cv_joint_live.jpg

Thank you!!!!

Looks complicated to work on! :(

Twingo GT
i had that and it was a rubber anti roll bar stabilizer... replaced that £5 and its fine (Y) just a suggestion, these guys know more than me

Honda. Tesla Someday
My name isnt Adam, but I have many tools. I'll probably end up hacking my arm off or having the car land on me crushing my lungs.

Hmmm... compensation claim against CS? LOL

Honda. Tesla Someday
axel stands?

Mate had some great axel stands along with his trolley jack... once we had his car jacked up then lowered on to the stands. Put tyre back on and BAM stand collapsed and car hit the ground! Lucky the tyre was on or it would have been a right mess!

I dont trust stands etc, its like Final Destination!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Mate had some great axel stands along with his trolley jack... once we had his car jacked up then lowered on to the stands. Put tyre back on and BAM stand collapsed and car hit the ground! Lucky the tyre was on or it would have been a right mess!

You don't trust stands? Sounds like you used ones from pound land...
You can bring it to me if you want to lug it to Kent and I'll have a look :)

Twingo GT

so you would rather just leave it on a jack? crazy son of a gun...

Honda. Tesla Someday
You don't trust stands? Sounds like you used ones from pound land...
You can bring it to me if you want to lug it to Kent and I'll have a look :)

They werent mine, they were a mates. I think they were Michelin stands that came with his Michelin jack, was expensive n looked the part... hmmmm..

Really you'd have a look for me?? Quite a way away... hmmm!!! Damn if only you were closer!!!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Next year I hope to have a hydraulic car lift in my garage, only £1000 new! Might have to treat myself :D

Honda. Tesla Someday
so you would rather just leave it on a jack? crazy son of a gun...

LoL no way!!! Neither tbh!!!

I'd rather just not be under the damn car lol!

Maybe 3 stands on each side + bricks + jacks = maybe I'll trust it lol!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
They werent mine, they were a mates. I think they were Michelin stands that came with his Michelin jack, was expensive n looked the part... hmmmm..

Really you'd have a look for me?? Quite a way away... hmmm!!! Damn if only you were closer!!!

Yeah if you ever dropping by, pm me beforehand so I can see if there is space in the workshop.