ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking sound from cold

Hiya,

Quick question which maybe someone else has had here before, tried searching but couldn't find anything.

When I start my 182 from cold and head off there is a knocking sound (incraeses with speed) which lasts for a minute or so and then stops, and doesnt come back. Its coming from the front, not sure where exactly (only happens when moving). I only drive the car every week or sometimes 2 weeks, don't do a huge amount of miles so hasn't been serviced (or new oil) for 18 months almost. It only happens from complete cold, not after leaving it for an hour or two...

I've been thinking of selling it recently, does anyone have an idea of what a 05, 17k 182 with cup packs would realisticly go for? Its hard to tell what they are actually selling for.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Its usally good practice to change oil & filter once a year mate, sounds like the engines not getting good lubrication untill the engine heats up & allows the oil to thin out & flow through the motor properly

172 FF
Can you feel the knocking through the steering wheel or pedals? & how loud is it?
And does it do it all the time or only when doing something like turning or braking etc....

Knocking is like a noise, cant feel it through the car. Speeds up with speed of car, and only happens from cold, then stops after a minute or two.

172 FF
Sounds like could be something to do with the wheels/brakes or driveshaft if it speeds up with the car. Does changing gear affect the noise or is it constant with speed?

Black Twingo GT
CV Joint? Does it get louder when you turn corners?

Check the gaiters on your drive shafts, that one hasn't split.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Sounds like oil mate, if your handy with a spanner you could do a full service for under £50.... £32 for halfords fully synthetic 5w40 oil, £6 for renault original filter, £2 for sump washer.... will take around 30-60 minutes depending on how much fun you have removing the old filter, raising the car if your oil drain tub is to high resulting in jacking the car up etc..