ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking under acceleration

v6
Hey all, I get a very loud knocking/grinding noise when accelerating hard at higher revs (4k+). Thought this was to do with my driveshafts being shagged but had them replaced (they did need doing anyway) and the noise is still there :( .

Had my cambelt and aux belt changed around january time and that's roughly when this sound started (can't remember correctly) so my mech thinks they probably didn't tighten something correctly.

Don't have any problems when revving the engine with the clutch dis-engaged, only when driving along so only thing I've narrowed it down to is the gearbox mount/s. Could this cause the noise I'm having?

Any help appreciated!

v6
Ok, i'm guessing there will be excessive play/damaged rubber if they need doing?

Is it correct that there's 3 mounts, top engine, dogbone and another gearbox one?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
4 mounts engine mount upper and lower gearbox mount and torque take up arm. theres 4 16mm bolts on the engine mount that holds it to the body undo them a bit and pull the engine forward all the way and do them up. if that doesnt fix it the big stud that goes though the upper gearbox mount comes loose would need a new mount and to tighten the stud.

Clio 172 Cup
I have exactly the same problem! It will only really do it in 1st i guess because that is when you get the most strain on the engine. After speaking to a few people i believe it is the lower engine mount.

v6
Thanks for the replies, engine mounts seem to be the culprits then, at least I can tell the garage what to check

v6
Turns out that one of the gearbox mounts was cracked (one that connects to the inner wing or something!), getting the car back tomorrow and hopefully will be finally sorted :)

clio 172 phase 1
hi iv had same prob iv orderd the new bushes for the bottom mount from k tec as there is no side to side bt only back an forward movement on the engine iv heard the manifold hits sub frame when mounts are gone can sombody let me know if i have correct part the bushes iv orderd are to fit the mount that can be seen from underneith its fat at one end and small ayy other sort of teardrop shape or is this only for gearbox?shoud i of ordered one for engine ?thanks

hi iv had same prob iv orderd the new bushes for the bottom mount from k tec as there is no side to side bt only back an forward movement on the engine iv heard the manifold hits sub frame when mounts are gone can sombody let me know if i have correct part the bushes iv orderd are to fit the mount that can be seen from underneith its fat at one end and small ayy other sort of teardrop shape or is this only for gearbox?shoud i of ordered one for engine ?thanks

Yep you do I'd just have got a new mount I don't rate the uprated bushes/mounts at all IMo there rubish and stupid.

clio 172 phase 1
thats helpfull. NOT.so will they still work or not only got them because renault told me 3 week wait and iv heard the standard renault ones wear really quick

thats helpfull. NOT.so will they still work or not only got them because renault told me 3 week wait and iv heard the standard renault ones wear really quick
Try read what I've said the aftermarket arn't what I'd recomend for anyone but they will fit.

Why not do a search though your questions been answered time and time again?