ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking/vibration from front left

Saxo VTS, Clio 172 Silver
Just started knocking/vibrating on the front left. Only does it when really chuck it about going left. Is fine normal, smooth driving and going right.

Any ideas?

Saxo VTS, Clio 172 Silver
Yep. Is nothing when stationary or at slow speeds, just literally when steer hard into a left hand corner. Is fine doing the same going right. :S

Black 197
Yep. Is nothing when stationary or at slow speeds, just literally when steer hard into a left hand corner. Is fine doing the same going right. :S

Im not overly brainy on suspension tbh but it could be the ARb or the ball joint on the wishbone... Maybe someone with more knowledge will help but im giving it me best shot pmsl

Clio 172, Honda Fireblade
Hi,
This sounds very similar to mine - except mine is the drivers side wheel.
It only happens when you are really going for it on a left-hander, and the wheel seems to vibrate and lose grip. It almost feels like the wheel is folding under...
I am going to have a proper look in a couple of weeks so will let you know if I find anything. Gonna check the wishbone bushes etc.
One thing - had new tyres recently and was told the front 2 wheels are buckled (though he didnt think it was too bad yet). Will swap front and rear wheels juand see if that solves it.

Megane F1 R26 LY
ball joint , wish bone , stabiliser bar bushes. drive shaft cv joint .

knocking when turning usually indicates a fooked cv joint .

hich meas a full new drive shaft (front left is the shorter one so its cheaper as it had no bend in the shaft )or if your lucky the cv boot has come off. check the inside of you wheel to see if there is any greese on it .

Well I had a good look at everything this weekend and couldnt sense any play in the ball joints or anything. The bushes and top suspension mount looked to be in decent condition and properly seated, and I couldnt spot anything amiss really. I put it all back together and the issue was still there so I swapped the front and rear wheels (Apparantly the fronts were slightly buckled). This has made it noticeably better, but hasnt stopped it completely. Now I still get this vibration/wheel juddering under really hard left cornering, but it is more gentle now then it was. Perhaps it was caused by the wheel being buckled, but I dont think so to be honest. Maybe that just accentuated it a little.
I hadnt thought it would be a CV, as I thought that is ussually a knocking under full-lock - but not just under hard cornering. My issue isnt really a knocking.
However I did notice my CV boot strap had broken a few months back and had leaked all the grease. I got it regreased and fixed up asap and hoped that it hadnt suffered too much damage. Perhaps it could be the CV then? (it was on the right wheel where I have the problem)

Can anyone tell me - if the ball joint on the end of the wishbone was worn, would you definately feel it by grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel with the front jacked up? I used to check my old mini this way and you could feel the movement, but Im only assuming you would feel it also on the Clio
Thanks for your replies. I am determined to get it sorted so I will update if I find anything out.

By the way - I replaced the top mounts with solid ones and this has cured the problem. Nicely sharpens up the steering as well.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Griff, I have the exact same thing you had, (drivers front wheel making that noise & feeling like it's losing grip on a left corner)
But I have the KTR solid mounts and coilovers in :S

Also had a wee tear in my CV boot a while back but it was packed up & repaired fairly quickly

All my bushes and both track rods were replaced late in 2009 and the ball joint (it was fitting the ball joint that made the tear in the CV boot lol)

Anything else I could check folks?
Trev