ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking/Vibration Under Acceleration

My 172 has developed a very annoying knocking/vibration under acceleration.

It is particularly noticeable when reaching 5k rpm in 3rd and 4th gear, or when accelerating heavily from a standing start.

It also seems to be more evident when accelerating out of a right hand corner.

When the knocking/vibration occurs, it can be felt quite noticeably (almost resonating) through the steering column.

From what I've read on here, engine mounts sound like the most common suspect. I have done the dogbone mount, but the old one showed no real signs of wear, and the new one has not fixed it. I understand this leaves three further mounts to change.

Any other opinions on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated. I'll have the car off the ground soon to do some other work, so any ideas for what to look out for would be great!

'02 Monaco Blue 172
Yes I had this, its more than likely the mount under the battery.
get yourself some loctite or similar before you start as these mounts tend to undo themselves and need locking down.
undo battery bolt, remove battery and under tray below there are two bolts that will need tightening with the loctite, replace the battery.
Takes about ten minutes!