ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KW v2 for track

Clio 172 Cup
I've seen a few comments recently saying KW v2 are too soft for track.

For mostly track car, will changing the front springs be adequate? and if so, what weight should I get and where from?

On a related question; what rear spring and damper Setup would you use with your KWs

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I havent used my v2's on the track yet so i cant comment and the people who are saying this may not be correct.
Try the car yourself and go from there. Depends on your driving style etc.

Alot of people are using V2's and havent mentione the springs being too soft plus you have the adjustable damping rates.

Golf GTD Mk7
You shouldn't just change springs. Dampers require a revalve to suit. Ast will set them to your spec. Presumably KW will do the same

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
one of the best you can get, and they're "not too soft for track" utter rubbish, people see to think roll is a bad thing, its not!

Not saying that they are bad by any means, but when you get told by KW yourself that the KW V2 is not for a lightened track only car with semi slicks, along with somebody who can drive and knows how to push the boundaries on track...makes you wonder. They suggested the Clubsport (has compression adjustment too) version at a minimum for a track only car...with no racing.

So they are ok for the occasional track day but not for a serious track only car that gets hammered every time it's out on track at least once a month.

Clio 172 Cup
Ok, a few different opinions out there. ;-)

My car is currently set up with FK coilovers which seemed ok for road but I was looking to improve the handling further and have acquired some KW V2s which I have not yet fitted to the car.

The car is set up with 195/50/R15s. The car is sitting lower than normal, but still plenty of fresh-air between tires and wheel arches.

After a trackday on sat at Anglesey on the FKs, We were getting some serious tire rubbing on the inner wheelarch whilst going round the banked hairpin, the top hairpin and at least one other corner (I forget the name). Obviously raising the car a little might help, but I also felt that maybe if I fit the KWs they will be a little stiffer and also the damping adjustability may be useful.

I understand what is being said in terms of body roll not necessarily being a bad thing. I certainly think I have a lot more to learn about driving before I am beyond the capabilities of the chassis. However, wont too much roll adversly affect the geometry so much that the contact patch is reduced and grip levels go down and temperatures go up?

In anycase, the tire rub is a real concern and I hope the KWs will be a better option than the FKs on the car.

Andy

Lionel Richie
Not saying that they are bad by any means, but when you get told by KW yourself that the KW V2 is not for a lightened track only car with semi slicks, along with somebody who can drive and knows how to push the boundaries on track...makes you wonder. They suggested the Clubsport (has compression adjustment too) version at a minimum for a track only car...with no racing.

So they are ok for the occasional track day but not for a serious track only car that gets hammered every time it's out on track at least once a month.

got £3k spare for clubsport? I know a few drivers, they all rate them, you pays yer money and all that............;)

172 cup, Impreza P1
I use kw on track and find them very good.

still got some suspension tweaking to such as polybushes and rear ARB but all in all they do the business on track.

I get some rubbing but still running 16's so to be expected.

I run with at the moment 2 degrees camber on the front, none on the back as I'm not getting any un-toward tyre wear or lack of grip (what little there is or required at rear on a fwd car) so haven't felt the need (plus it's not as easy to add camber to the rear). I have 3.45 degrees castor on the front, moves the contact point of the tyre in front of the drive shaft\axle (whatever, it's in front) so acts like a shopping trolley wheel will center very easily and steering is light in a straight line put this with .5 degree toe out for turn in makes for a good set up.

The 6th June when at Snetteron an Elise I was following could get away from me on the straights but I'd be back to within 200\ 300 mtrs (where I started from) when in the top bends (after start\finish straight) and again through the Esses to bomb hole long right hander to start finish straight. I caught him a lot on the brakes...confidence in mine.....was catching overall but it would've taken maybe 50 laps to get right on his tail.

I do rate the KW V2's, they are good and worth the money but if you have tuition (as I do), progress your speed, ability, you'll notice you'll run out of adjustment very quickly.

172 ph1
V2s are perfectly adequate if you use road tires on the track. Even with semi slicks such as R888, Pilot Sport Cup, they're still ok, although slightly harder would be better in that case, from what I've experienced.

For even better performance with semi slicks such as R888s, KW Germany advised me to change the front springs to 80N/mm (standard they're 60N/mm), I might do that in the future.

Here's mine with KW V2s + rear anti roll bar + Pilot Sport Cups

I found you can't have the car sitting too low either, to avoid rubbing. Any lower than this and my tires rubbed in corners:

s15042011429.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 ph1
Does anyone know where do I get uprated springs from and what sort of money we are talking?

Andy
You can order those from KW, for around 60 pounds each (I think). Not sure how much to get the springs swapped, that depends on whether the coilovers are already installed on the car or not.

email 1:

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]"Dear KW customer,[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]thank you for your email and the information.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]We recommend to use a 80-170* spring instead of 60-170* supplied with the kit.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The handling should improve a lot with this.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Please contact your local KW partner for ordering this spring. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Part number is 60110047.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thank you and we wish you a lot of fun and success with the “new setup”.[/FONT][/FONT]
"

email 2:

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]"Hello,[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]unfortunately, for the rear of this car, we do not offer harder springs.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]After discussing with our motorsports department, they confirmed, that with new springs on front axle and the same springs on the rear (as they have been chosen to be quite “firm”), you should get a good result on handling.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thank you."[/FONT][/FONT]

Clio Williams & 182
I have not seen anywhere that does those springs on the KW website?

I have sourced two places that will do the same type of spring. Nitron have a list on a spreadsheet for 60mmID / 170mmFL springs at loads of different rates, but for two springs for the front it works out about £138+postage inc VAT @ 20%

Also, Faulkners can make them for us at £45-50 per spring, 3 weeks to make, at whatever spring rate I/we want.

The KW's are about 341 lb/inch...60Nm.

I am going to look at either 500 lb or 550 lb. I like my car to sit flat.

I will do this or sell the KW's. The roll is so pronounced that despite increasing the height on them by quite a bit, on bends they STILL rip my aches and front bumper to shreds. The AVO's did this too but got to a point where they were happy and had eaten their fill, but the KW's...the outer edges of my tyre are blue from destroying more bumper and grinding off Williams paintwork despite running them a damn sight higher than the AVO's.

Clio Williams & 182
http://www.nitron.co.uk/products_springs.htm

There's the Nitron link to a page with handy spreadsheets. Give very useful info on types of 60mm ID springs they supply.

Faulkners do specially made springs in various colours and can for and extra fee, mark the springs with text of your choice.

I am going to put an order with Faulkners on Monday for 2 x 60mmID 170 free length at about 88/89Nm (about 500lb/in spring rate).

They will bring the cost down for bulk orders if anyone wants in.