ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

kwik fit mot's

clio 182 54 reg
right id nevernormaly mot a car at kwick fit id use an indapendent garage, but with my insurance iv got a free mot with them but iam thinkin they will try there hardest to find somet wrong with the car so id need get the work done by them. i rang them up to ask how to sort it and i need do it online but i said if it fails do i need to get the retest at kwick fit and they said yes at a retest price of £22.50 and he said i only had ten days to do so.

but if it fails which am sure it wont id rather take it else were to get sorted but am unsure if they will have the right to make me finish it of there what do you think???
thanks

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh it'll fail and he'll give you a list aslong as your arm of stuff to 'fix'.

I'd not take it there either. They are hopeless imo & will no doubt find somethnig wrong with the car (even if there's nothing wrong with it)

RS Clio 172 Cup
Promise me they will Fail it, as its a free MOT, so therefore they need to get some money back.
I did the exact same (free Kwik-Fit MOT) on my old Focus, and they failed it on the rear brakes. Anyway they said it needed the caliper stripping down and re-greasing. So left it with them, came back, paid them 20quid, Car passed. Anyway once i was home i looked at the rear brakes and all they did has apply some copper grease around the brake pad in the caliper, so it looked like they have done summat. They didnt even strip the caliper down. Cheeky sods.....Im sorry but people who work at Kwik-Fit aren't mechanics...All they do is swop tyres, batterys and exhausts, anyone can do that.

So if i was you, don't take it to Kwik-Fit. Take it to a Local garage and pay for the MOT...

DMS

A thirsty 172
Wouldn't surprise me if they used this as a clever marketing ploy to get you to have your MOT there.
They could be offering the MOT for free because they'll find something to fail it on so that you have to pay them to fix it, then pay another £22.50 for a retest.
Do what I do and take the car to an independent MOT centre. Because they don't do repairs they can't fail a car just for their own financial gain, and won't fail it unless it's not in a roadworthy condition.

Pug 205 gti
i'd take it there coz it's not costin you anythin. see what it fails on! then book it into a garage you normally take it to.

Nissan 350z
^ You trust them enough not to cause it to fail on something?

Dont get me wrong Kwik Fit has their uses and i cant fault them at wheel or exhaust related work and ive used them in the past but things like this and Nationwide Autocentres "free MOT" always makes me suspecious.

MG ZR+ 105
i used them cos they are literally right next to my house when i was learning and they quoted £600 of things to it

including £117 for 1 tyre!!

in the end I used the list of everything they said and my brother did all the work for around £200 and I got it done at a local garage where it passed straight away

clio 182 54 reg
i'd take it there coz it's not costin you anythin. see what it fails on! then book it into a garage you normally take it to.

ye but cause they started the work they have to finish it becuase its on computer so ive been told . think il just go to a normal garage thanks ppl

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm, im a tad concerned now lol.

My vts failed its MOT at Kwik-fit on rear discs/pads, lambda/cat (emissions) & tyres, ie things they sell ...

Doh.
Oh dear, I thought a man with your experience would have more sense.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Bought the megane from a good mate whos uncle works for Kwik Fit and he MOT'd it and gave him the repair bill for £900 (+MOT!) which said mate couldn't afford with a baby on the way.

Sold me the car for trade in value and so far I got it through its MOT (one slightly sticky caliper and loose CV joints) and fixed a few wee niggles, a full service, some things that just didnt need done at all and it stands me at £200.

Apparently it needed new driveshafts, new lambda, new cat, new brakes (well, they had done 5000 miles!) and new tyres. The only thing in that last that was even partly right was the tyres, it needed 2!

If they'll rip off their own family then they WILL rip off you.

Storm Grey 200
pah, my car has been mot'd twice with kwikfit, i might add both times not out of choice. And it passed both times.

I think it wil vary from branch to branch. Go get it done if its free

Lionel Richie
i had a rover 25 come in with 2 pages of failures, i fixed what needed doing IMO (not everything on the failure sheet quick fit gave her) it passed at my usual place (legit) no bother

182 Cup
Audi do free MOT's too - I was suspicious, but the car passed without any advisories and even came back valeted and washed! I was very impressed!

Best place to get an MOT is at a council depot where they MOT the busses and trucks the council use. By law thy have to offer the service to the general public. I use a local council bus depot.

The people there have zero interest in failing your car because they dont do repairs and they wont want to retest it.

They usually say somthing like 'your rear brakes are a bit f**ked but they were fine when you drove in' wink wink

Golf GT TDI
Low loader to carry Saxo 10 miles from sellers to mine without mot/tax - £75

Free MOT at Kwik Fit so i could drive on the highway without MOT/Tax - Free

I win tbh ;) MOT Fail sheet just gave me an excuse to buy things lol

10 miles pah i would just push it

BMW M Lite
ye but cause they started the work they have to finish it becuase its on computer so ive been told . think il just go to a normal garage thanks ppl

That is utter rubbish! If they fail it you can take it to any garage of your choice for the work/re-test (which it will inevitably pass). They're already lying to you, and you haven't even let them see the car!

Run my friend! Run for the hills!!!!