ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lack of power during dyno run

2005 Silver 182
Had a dyno meet yesterday. Was really excited to see how she went then I got this dismal print out. Gutted to say the least. The rollers did work as some other lad with a low boost turbo 182 said it would make 230 - 240bhp and in it came out at 231bhp I believe! 152.7bhp at engine and 150lbft engine torque was my result! So torque looks about right but the power is terrible. Was hoping the fresh plugs, lambdas and exhaust could’ve helped it?!

I have checked the resistance of the injectors, all coming in at 15.5 to 15.8 ohm. Took the rail and injectors out and spray tested them on some cardboard. All look ok. Could be struggling with load but I don’t notice and stuttering or spluttering?!

Wondering if when I changed the spark plugs with new manifold seal and gasket I potentially haven’t got the seal that sits under the manifold sat right and it’s leaking air? Coil pack? Leads? I’m a bit stuck as I have no real misfire or juddering. Idle can sometimes seem to hunt very slightly. Lambdas were both replaced within last 2 months also. Any advice or help much appreciated!

D366B7E1-AC6A-45B1-BE82-1737D8E4B982.jpeg
5FEFFA6F-CB7E-4A66-8DE9-9D08D64A82A5.jpeg
3CB83F2D-5F94-481C-AD57-B88CB05E3A7C.jpeg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Thank you for the speedy reply

Can it slip/adjust that drastically without any other obvious signs? Full belts kit and service I presume then!?

Cheers again

It can slip yeah if it's not been done properly, or just not timed properly in the first place.

First thing to do would be to get the timing checked and go from there.

All the Clios i've seen on dynos run way low on power have been timing related.

2005 Silver 182
It can slip yeah if it's not been done properly, or just not timed properly in the first place.

First thing to do would be to get the timing checked and go from there.

All the Clios i've seen on dynos run way low on power have been timing related.

Cheers for the advice. Don’t suppose anyone knows a decent place within Gloucestershire area to get it looked at. Think if it is timing it must of slipped as another dyno had it 178 bhp engine around a year ago. Not had belts done in my ownership.

Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Cheers for the advice. Don’t suppose anyone knows a decent place within Gloucestershire area to get it looked at. Think if it is timing it must of slipped as another dyno had it 178 bhp engine around a year ago. Not had belts done in my ownership.

Thanks

I don't know that area tbh

Does it run much different? You should be able to feel a 20hp loss in these.

2005 Silver 182
I did feel as though it may of been slower. I did wonder if I was getting used to it but this dyno does put doubt on that theory of getting used to it.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I did feel as though it may of been slower. I did wonder if I was getting used to it but this dyno does put doubt on that theory of getting used to it.

If the timing check comes back ok, then move on to compression test.

Definitely sounds like timing, or maybe a blocked cat. Mine made about 179 from just an exhaust and filter

dan's cast offs.
rr operator didn't have any input? kind of perfect situation really.

check map sensor reading on idle and take it from there, plenty of things it could be.

2005 Silver 182
rr operator didn't have any input? kind of perfect situation really.

check map sensor reading on idle and take it from there, plenty of things it could be.

How would I go about reading the map sensor?!

2005 Silver 182
So finally got some time to have a snoop around for any clues on the power loss. Wanted to get the inlet manifold off to check the egg gasket was in position properly etc. Once removed I noticed that it all seemed a bit oily compared to how it’s been before!
1AA5EBEF-0612-4A1B-98A6-D5EE5EA97E36.jpeg
EB6E2DBE-35B5-4BF8-8605-E075A428FC09.jpeg
3F027936-BAD1-4386-B515-D099424AEB4A.jpeg

This is from the Lower inlets just above the injector level. Caked in crap that wasn’t there (as far as I remember) before!
FCCF3135-FB35-4EAA-B5B5-6C8550D462C9.jpeg

This breather was fairly loose aswell. Suppose that really should have a jubilee clip on!?
7CEA4D3B-599A-4822-85C6-37C1594A621B.jpeg

Checked dipstick (my drive is slightly sloped near bottom but the top is almost perfectly level) and it was around 0.5cm above the top level (cold). Could over filling the oil slightly caused the oil breather to dirty the air excessively reducing oxygen quality on the inlet?!

Will be getting under the car to check exhaust for leaks/poor fitment. Just want to check things a bit before shelling out for someone to check timing! Have not got a clue what sort of cost it will be!

Cheers

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
Oil in the inlet plenum is normal from my experience. Could be from blow by or valve stem oil seals neither of which is worth investigating id say. Just keep an eye on oil levels. You can check for worn valve stem oil seals by driving downhill off the gas at 40mph then floor it. If you see white smoke then they are likely worn.

Does the car idle ok? if the timings slipped id expect the idle to be rough on cold start then there is a noticeable change in engine note when it resumes normal running.